Colour correction help/advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Carly*

Reaction score
Apologies for the somewhat lacking thread title, it's late and I'm stressed about my hair. I have an appointment in the morning and would normally have stuck this in consumer queries but I know the hair forum is busier and am hoping to get some advise before my appoint. For what it's worth, I do have some training behind me.

Anyhooo- I'd been happily dying/trashing my hair with the dreaded xxl luminance reds for years. Colour was fine, but I've been tanning a lot lately and wanted to go brunette for my wedding which is 2 months away. I was well aware it would be considered a colour correction so I went to a salon. I was hoping and asking for a medium golden brown, but really I just didn't want to end up too dark! My natural colour is about a 5 I think.

I went into a salon and asked to speak to the colourist about a colour correction. Explained about the xxl (she had no idea it was metallic salt based). She did a strand test using straight up 6, which was too dark. So when I went in for my appoint she put in a 7 with absolutely nothing else. I understand why she was wary about doing a bleach bath or anything, but she could have happily tried with the strand test just to see. She could have added some green. She could have used an ash brown to try to counteract. I'm not the expert which is why I went to her! I explained all my worries up front. I was extremely concerned I'd end up with root banding and a lot of red.

Now I've got darker red mid lengths and ends, nice brown roots and she's having the junior apply a quasi tomorrow morning. She wants to add more warmth to my roots and another 7 with some green. I was told I'd have to pay for the product, after already paying for the first mess, which I was clear is in no way looking ok.

I have a photo shoot with our photographer on Sunday the 1st, which I told them about before I booked. If it couldn't be fixed I'd rather have known. I'd rather have put the dreaded xxl back on my roots and be all one colour, than look like this in photos that are going to be used for our wedding and I am freaking out about how my hair will actually look on the big day! I'm worried about the final cost of everything and the lack of time. Not quite sure why she thought 1 tint would fix it all.

Any advice before I go back in the morning? She uses a brand called K, or J, or Q, if that means anything to anyone? its not something I've ever heard of before. They use the same brand for all their colour apparently. Sorry for the long winded waffle, its very late and I am super worried and don't know what to say or do. xxx

Aww Carly, she should of known one colour doesn't fix all, unless it's a level 1 being applied lol. Yes she should of lifted it 1st.

You have not got the desired colour you want, despite telling her what's already been on your hair for yonks, and no way should she be charging you for a correction they are responsible for.

I'm sorry it's site rules we can't give consumers advice on using professional colours or formulars.

Before you let her loose on your hair, make it clear your end result is not what was asked for and if she insists on charging you for their mistake, my only advice is to go elsewhere.

Sorry if ir doesn't seem much help to you but I'm afraid it's all we're able to tell you. X

Please don't go back to the dreaded xxl.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'd rather pay at a salon that seems to have a clue, personally. It depends what you want as to what she puts on but she should have treated the roots and ends differently.

Thanks. I just went to this salon looking for a professional and feel like I knew better. I kept asking what she was going to do with my roots. I knew there was no way it was going to work.

I don't want advise as to what to do to my hair myself. More how to handle the situation, where to go from here and what to say to the salon. She's basically implied that it might take a good few sessions until it looks right, charging me for each one along the way. I have a photoshoot in just over a week. I want to cry! I absolutely hate it. She said she didn't want to add bleach if I had metallic salts on my hair. Surely she could have tested it though, instead of giving up completely.

Should I let the junior apply the quasi today still or should I do or say something else? I've got an hour before I'm due there and so worried they are just going to make it worse and leave me with a build up of colour. It's worrying that I seemed to have more of a clue than the stylist and that's through basic colour theory learned over a decade ago!

My understanding is that metallic salts react wit the peroxide not the colour. Ask for a strand test to be done.

You know what you need doing. Put you foot down and make sure the colour is corrected properly and don't pay another cent to them.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hugs all round. Thank you guys. Well I said nothing is going to work without lifting the red first. So she tested a strand with bleach, lifted quite well to a peach shade which hopefully will cover, the foil didnt get hot and the hair survived. Again, she keeps asking me what I want her to do. I just want the desired shade, I shouldn't have to figure out myself how to get there. I am positive she's going to want to charge me a load on top too and I really find that sort of thing so uncomfortable and awkward. She implied that I'd said something I hadn't, though I was super clear on the colour I wanted and totally upfront about exactly what was on it originally. Regardless, i obviously wanted the whole thing the same colour! She was nice and understanding but I'm still super worried. Booked in for next week so just gotta pray I guess. Xxx

If you're going to end up paying perhaps consider another hairdresser. Otherwise I would think about going to a college. I know I'd be stoked to have you as a client in my chair and to be able to make it go right for you.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back