Colour help, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnap

Reaction score
I need some advise with a colour please. I haven't done a correction like this for years & no longer work in a salon so have no one to ask do thought I'd turn to you guys!

A friend had asked me to change her hair colour - I've never coloured it before- only blow dried.
She had natural base of about a 4 with approx 70 % grey and has had someone hi lighting it for a few years. She has a creamy blonde and a darker more coppery blonde in it but has said about going back to her original colour.

I said that would be soooooo dark and she's now agreed she doesn't quite want it to that just a warm brown

She doesn't want permanent!!!!

So thought I could use diarichess 6.3 with a touch of 6.34 in so as to stop the khaki tone.
I explained that it will look darker than it is so that's why going for a 6 and that the tones will probably still be different so not all one tone & she's quite happy with that.

Can I simply do this or do I need to pre pig 1st as I really haven't done that in donkey's years!?

Thanks in advance for your help

You will need to pre-pig with a 7 level orange/yellow in semi (ends only)

Rinse

Then apply target shade bearing in mind a semi won't cover her grey 100% so maybe if your target shade is a 6.3 use

1/2 6.3 + 1/2 a grey coverage colour + 10 vol

And ends 6.3 in a semi permernant

For future the general rule when going darker is pre pig when more than 2 shades going darker and then always pre pig with "one shade lighter, one shade warmer of the target shade"
So if u were going to a orange you will need to prepig with something warmer than an orange
Or
If you wanted a ash brown you will pre pig with a soft gold

Make sense?

Thanks for that . I would like her to go permanent ..... Maybe next time lol!

So pre pig for how long? Then rinse and just towel dry before applying final colour? Sorry it really is years since I did this

I need some advise with a colour please. I haven't done a correction like this for years & no longer work in a salon so have no one to ask do thought I'd turn to you guys!

A friend had asked me to change her hair colour - I've never coloured it before- only blow dried.
She had natural base of about a 4 with approx 70 % grey and has had someone hi lighting it for a few years. She has a creamy blonde and a darker more coppery blonde in it but has said about going back to her original colour.

I said that would be soooooo dark and she's now agreed she doesn't quite want it to that just a warm brown

She doesn't want permanent!!!!

So thought I could use diarichess 6.3 with a touch of 6.34 in so as to stop the khaki tone.
I explained that it will look darker than it is so that's why going for a 6 and that the tones will probably still be different so not all one tone & she's quite happy with that.

Can I simply do this or do I need to pre pig 1st as I really haven't done that in donkey's years!?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi , if using richesse and sticking with warmer shades you will need to precolour with dialight 6.34 and 9 vol dependant on porosity . Leave for 5-20 mins ( will more than likely need 20) rinse hair and dry . Apply target shade with half base to regrowth with 15 vol and use target shade only ( no base) on ends with 9 vol . Richesse will allow you to go four shades darker without precolouring however I always feel this is dependant on hair condition and shade required

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Thanks for that.

Just I keep reading about people pre pigging with water & the colour or using a coloured spray or even coloured mousse then applying target colour straight over the top?

The brand I use you pre pig with the colour and water and dry in... And for coloured mouses its un even and once again doesn't work with all product lines.. There's normally a number on the tube you can always call lorel for some advise too xx

Ok so what brand do you use? And how much water do you add?

Dia richesse should cover up to 70% white when used with the 15 vol developer.... This is in theory though, realistically not everyone's hair will do this as it may be more resistant! In this instance, Loreal would tell you to use majirel or inoa on your roots for the coverage (so that would be your 6.3 - it's what loreal call a "golden base" which means it covers 100% on it's own) then do dia light on your ends as it's an acid colour designed for coloured hair x

Also I did wonder how reliable the mousses would be! Thanks for that.

I use Affinage and its 1:1 but I would follow your colour brands procedure

But she doesn't want permanent although May be able to convince her for next time

But she doesn't want permanent although May be able to convince her for next time

Well if she doesn't want permanent she can't complain of she does not get a blanket coverage as richesse isn't designed to do this , majirel is! I would still use dialight or richesse in the ends even if she opts for permanent in the future

Yes, I actually do it that way sometimes with the semi on the ends - thank you .

Yes, I actually do it that way sometimes with the semi on the ends - thank you .

No problem good luck :)

Bugger - been to wholesalers & bought 6.34 dialight to pre pig , & 6.3 dialight , thought I had the other colours at home in richesse & all I've got is 1/2 tube 6, 1/2 tube 6.34 & 1/2 tube 6.35 but ALL HI RICHESSE!
Am meant to be doing it in 30 mins time & don't have time to go again to wholesalers! Help!!!!

Just remembered I bought 6.3 dialight as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back