Colour mixing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleneweeooo

Reaction score
Girl in training question alert!!!

Have just been wondering in what cases do you mix different level of bases and tones? I understand if you run out of - for instance - an 8 then you would mix a 7 and 9 at a 1:1 ratio... But I've noticed the stylists doing this to achieve a particular colour and it's just confused me a little. For instance the other day a stylist toned using half 10a and half 11p. My understanding is that would produce a 10 and a half but that's not possible??? And why mix an ash and a pearl?? Apologies if it's an obvious question! Why can't I just know all this 😩

Girl in training question alert!!!

Have just been wondering in what cases do you mix different level of bases and tones? I understand if you run out of - for instance - an 8 then you would mix a 7 and 9 at a 1:1 ratio... But I've noticed the stylists doing this to achieve a particular colour and it's just confused me a little. For instance the other day a stylist toned using half 10a and half 11p. My understanding is that would produce a 10 and a half but that's not possible??? And why mix an ash and a pearl?? Apologies if it's an obvious question! Why can't I just know all this 😩

To make an 8 using a 7&9 you'd need to use more 9 than 7 the darker colour has more pigment so makes it deeper. Most 11 series are highlifts so shouldn't really be used for toning :/ ash & pearl are both usually on the blue part of the colour wheel as it was only for toning it wouldn't really be a 10 and a half it would just be to neutralise tone. You can make pretty much any colour by mixing other colours tho :)

Ahh I didn't think you would have to use more 9 since its so light.
I totally understand mixing to get different colours and having to mix eg a 5 with a 5.5 so it has extra base etc, im just trying to get my head around mixing two different tones. I cant seem to figure out the result 😩 i suppose it's just a case of experience as I go on lol

If u needed a beige 9 for example you could use a 9.1 & a 9.3 and if u needed a slight red tone to a base you could add a 6.6 with 6.0 or add mixtone instead the possibilities are endless lol time on the shop floor will give u a good grasp of what's achievable tbh, do they ask you to mix for them? That was how I learnt, I was always fascinated to see the outcomes of the colour numbers my boss used to call out to me lol

I understand your examples I think it just baffles me when they use two different bases that are more than a couple levels apart with different tones! I'm probably overthinking it all and confusing myself. When I was doing my level 1 I mixed up all the time but now I'm in another salon the stylists all do it themselves 😟 but whenever I see them having a consultation then mixing up i hang around the back of them like a bad smell 😂 thanks for the help x

Personally I would never mix bases more than a couple of levels apart - that makes no sense at all, and if the tones are incompatible too they are not going to get a good result they're just teaching you bad habits! :/

Another tip, the darker a colour is, the denser the tonal pigment load is. So say if you mix 6R and 8G the result would be a 7RG rather than equality between the tones! Bare this in mind when mixing.

Latest posts

Back