Colour Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bougeac

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I consider myself more of a cutter than a colourist and most of the colour work i have done lately has been t-bars, half heads and the occasional tint. Now, I recently coloured my other halfs head red and blond (top sections block blond and the under layers red).

After doing this, i decided i didnt like it (neither did she :eek: ) so i thought i would go for an all over red instead...

(bear in mind that i had bleached the top sections), i put plenty of product especially on the bleached area and let it develop for the correct time BUT the end result was dark red underneath with a pinky/reddy almost translucent red on top -- yeuk!!!

Actually it didnt look too bad but it wasnt what i was looking for. It faded very quickly and now looks almost blonde again on top.

I scratched my head a bit to figure what went wrong, I know that if i was wanting to say change bleached blond hair to a rich brown, because the pigmentation has been stripped out by the bleach i would need to FIRST maybe put on a red/copper semi to give the tint something to grab onto but i didnt think this needed to be the case with red...

Should i perhaps of put on a warm brown semi first before putting on the red ?

Another question that cropped up was does anyone know how the tint interracts with the semi so that any "colour gaps" are filled in so you end up with the correct colour.

Whats puzzling me know is that ok, say when you want to go from bleached blonde to brown, we put the semi on to replace lost pigmentation before adding the tint BUT whats freaking me out now is, what happens when the semi-perm colour washes out, surely you should be back with the problem that occurs due to adding say a brown straight on top of bleached hair??

This all sounds a bit rambling, i think i need to go on a color refresher course and bend the teachers ears a bit!!

Chris

it all depends on condition of hair prior to bleching. u still need to pre pig hair, thts why it went pink and then faded, should u attempt to make it brown then red, that wont work because the red tint wont cut throo the brown tint u previously put on and u will jus end up with a brown with a red hue. repig the hair to the base u aim for, for example it u are hoping to have 6-7 based red pre pig copper, it u are hoping for a very bright red of say an 8 pre pig golden copper. i assume u know how to pre pig. also use a porousity spray to even out the hair before applying colours x

Hi, thankx alot for your message, yep I know how to pre-pigment do u think loreal diacolor something like rich copper cold would be ok?

chris x

i cant speak for other colour houses, but wi tigi it is there mixtones and warm water on dry hair pre treated with a porosity spray, left for 15 mins then excess blotted off, then blasted with drier and target shade applied, i never worked wit loreal so cant possibly say x

Latest posts

Back