Commission for room rental

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurasnowwhite

Reaction score
I have been offered the opportunity to rent a beauty room in a hairdressing salon.

The deal would be on a commission rent, but I would be required to provide my own equipment, advertising, products, etc.

What would be a average percentage commission paid to the salon owner for rental?

I have recently been working one day a week for a salon, and as I didn't know any better before I began working for them (my first salon job), I have ended up with an incredibly poor deal (they haven't advertised me at all, I have had to provide some of my products and they are taking 70% for basically doing nothing!!)
I started with them at the end of November and had only one customer throughout all of December, but when I looked at the appointments system all the other girls columns were back to back with treatments every Saturday.

In the last 4 weeks, I have had one client (which they had forgotten to tell me about, so when I found out I had 45 minutes notice and live 20 minutes away from the salon!), which I earned £5.10, and they haven't even paid me that!!

If anybody could give me some advice as to what is a reasonable deal, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Defo not 70%!!! I've not looked into paying on commission, and to be fair, I don't give a rats... About normal payments, but I would never give more than 25% of my takings just for room rental. If they offered advertising, products, and other things like Internet or receptionist I might up to 30-40% but nothing more.

Like I said I don't know the standard, but I would defo make sure I was taking more per treatment than I gave to te salon. Xoxo

70% that's shocking to expect 70% of someones takings that is very unfair. Xx

No that doesnt sound like a very good deal. It should be 70% to you if not more. As they arent really doing anything for you apart from letting you be there.

I wouldnt be happy with this.

Im really not wanting to stay at the current salon, which is why I'm exploring this other option.

They tried to make me feel grateful about getting 30%, like they were doing me a favour as it's my first salon job, but after we agreed my start date they decided they wouldn't pay me minimum wage and it would be commission only. I was also required to go in and "shadow" for 4 days, all unpaid.

I have the option of fixed rent or commission at the new place, I think commission will be better as I won't have to start paying until I have clients coming in. I think a 80%-20% split to me will be the most I'll agree to.

Just wish it wasn't so difficult to get business off the ground!! It's so tricky as I don't have the funds to get off the ground. It's the advertising costs for starting up that will be the biggest struggle, it could be the make or break as to whether I can even get this room :-(

Im really not wanting to stay at the current salon, which is why I'm exploring this other option.

They tried to make me feel grateful about getting 30%, like they were doing me a favour as it's my first salon job, but after we agreed my start date they decided they wouldn't pay me minimum wage and it would be commission only. I was also required to go in and "shadow" for 4 days, all unpaid.

I have the option of fixed rent or commission at the new place, I think commission will be better as I won't have to start paying until I have clients coming in. I think a 80%-20% split to me will be the most I'll agree to.

Just wish it wasn't so difficult to get business off the ground!! It's so tricky as I don't have the funds to get off the ground. It's the advertising costs for starting up that will be the biggest struggle, it could be the make or break as to whether I can even get this room :-(

There's an advertising thread on here, try vista print to see if they are doing window decals free, see if u can have one of them up for a few weeks. Do some really good quality posters on ur pc and hole punch them, laminate them and put the hole back in with scissors, then use cable ties to put them at bus stands, lamp posts etc... Post price lists, all the cheapest I can think of xoxo

When I first started renting my space I was paying commission, I put in my contract that when I would start getting busy I would have to option to go to monthly rent of xxx amount. You could try something like that and see if the owners are unto it. It's easier for them to keep track of their expenses also.

As for advertising, it takes a while to gain a proper clientele and in the beginning I didn't have funds either to advertise big. I put up a lot of flyers in popular shops and grocery story's to gain clientele. Try advertising in this place aswell, put up catchy flyers and perhaps do a promotion or two to get people in. There's a lot of free ways to go about it, there's a thread on here about different ways to promote yourself and your business

Latest posts

Back