Competitive advice, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justine'sHair

Reaction score
I have just over 4 years experience within the industry, and due to the salon I was working at closing, I decided to set up on my own a few months ago.

My manager was lovely, and he allowed us to keep our clientele that we had built up with him over the years, as he wasn't going to be carrying on within the industry.

I drive, so traveling around is not a problem, however, the Area I am originally from is rather small, and known for its Chinese Whispers as everyone seems to know eachother. so I decided to branch out, so instead of just offering services in my Area, I also cover surrounding Area's.

However, out of the blue, another mobile hair dresser has popped up, claiming she has been covering the Area I am from, for the last 15+ years. (she also live's in this area)
I don't like to doubt her, however I have never heard/came across her.

I corrected a very bad hair cut a few weeks back. the client had a picture and informed me that she wanted a very graduated style bob. however the previous hairdresser had done it all wrong.
it was a mess, but I am very professional about my job.
I corrected the cut,
made the client feel happy about her look,
and told her that she is more than welcome to come back to me (as she was saying she didnt know if she could trust another hairdresser now)

from what this client told me, the hairdresser that had done her re-style in the first place, was the one that has popped up in my local area.

I kept this all to myself, due to data protection, and due to this being my life aswel as my job, i wouldnt jepordise it in any way.

however, a few days later, i heard that this hairdresser had been Slating my name, stating i was 'too young' to be qualified (I am 20 years of age)

also stating that she has worked along side me, and we team up for group bookings & i am always asking her how to do things (like i dont know how to do my job)

well i bit my tongue, as for 1) i never trust rumours or word of mouth and 2) i am mature enough to take things on the chin...

however, this consisted for a whole 2 weeks.

instead of doing the whole 'she said' 'he said' business. I got hold of her number & contact her myself.

i was very reasonable, i kept a nice level tone (not once raising my voice)
i simply stated i had heard so much, and it was getting a little out of hand and felt we should resolve it ourselves like adults rather than have the rumours.

she was damn right rude, telling me she would 'beat me up' and asking for my clients address's so that she could sort them out too (as she felt they were causing trouble)

i told her, that under data protection i couldnt do this, and if she was professional enough she would know that.

the phone call ended with her hanging up on me after saying 'get a life you stupid ***** and keep away from my business & clients'

well i am gobsmacked.

i am not one to tread on anyone's toes, her clients are her clients, i have built mine up myself.
i also am fully aware that not every client will stick to the same hairdresser, alot change from time to time, but theres not a thing i can do about that. i couldnt ask every potential client if they have ever had their hair done by her, and refuse to do them if their answer is Yes.

has anyone else experienced this?
or am i the only one :sad::sad::sad:

its really got me down. ive considered jacking it all in. although hair is my life, my passion and i have worked damn hard to get here. i dont know if i could handle the stress regular

If the clients aren't happy with her then they will go elsewhere, whether it's to you or Joe Bloggs up the street so I wouldn't worry about it! Let the clients do the choosing ;)

I wouldn't contact her any more tho cos it could turn nasty and by ignoring her, you're the better person :)

If the clients aren't happy with her then they will go elsewhere, whether it's to you or Joe Bloggs up the street so I wouldn't worry about it! Let the clients do the choosing ;)

I wouldn't contact her any more tho cos it could turn nasty and by ignoring her, you're the better person :)

thankyou
i wont be contacting again
i though with her being 40ish
she would be mature, and we could sort it like adults, i soon learnt form that mistake!:p

Don't worry about it hun ...I've had Chinese whispered on fb recently on how I wrecked a whole family's hair I didn't even do...now the hair dresser that did do it and the family have been inboxing me wanting to know what's been said lol....bare in mind I don't know any of them ....it us upsetting but honestly take no notice x

Don't even worry about it! So what if you are working in the same area as her, it's not like avon where you get assigned specific streets lol carry on doing what you're doing and let her carry on doing crap cuts. Keep yourself to yourself and you can't go wrong. I am actually friends with a lot of the hairdressers in my town and we recommend each other if we are busy etc x

Latest posts

Back