Confused, gel polish brand for newbie - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophii

Reaction score
So I’ve gone through so many existing posts on what gel polish brand is preferred, but I’m still so confused! I’m swaying between gelish and the gel bottle. The gel bottle has some great comments but also some disgruntled ones about long waits for delivery and bad customer service. Any wise words to help clarify what it best would really help. I’m very newly qualified and it’s such a huge investment choosing a brand especially when not knowing how successful my business will be and whether I will get on with them.

Who did you do your training with? sometimes the decision can be based on that. If you were at college , which brands were you introduced to ?

For me it was which gels were available that I could pick up from my local warehouse if ever I ran out of something or had accidentally dropped a bottle and lost all the product. Ie, cuccio and gellux.
I do online shopping , but I hate the wait for things.... but thats me. gel nails are not a large part of my business.
Lots of geeks on this forum love The gel bottle, cnd shellac, ink london ( like gelish in application)
Hopefully other geeks that do far more nails than me will help you out.
RosieR

Who did you do your training with? sometimes the decision can be based on that. If you were at college , which brands were you introduced to ?

For me it was which gels were available that I could pick up from my local warehouse if ever I ran out of something or had accidentally dropped a bottle and lost all the product. Ie, cuccio and gellux.
I do online shopping , but I hate the wait for things.... but thats me. gel nails are not a large part of my business.
Lots of geeks on this forum love The gel bottle, cnd shellac, ink london ( like gelish in application)
Hopefully other geeks that do far more nails than me will help you out.
RosieR
Thanks Rosie. I used posh nailz with my training provider but didn’t get on with the products.

I am not familiar with the brand at all sorry , hope someone jumps onto the thread for you x

I am not familiar with the brand at all sorry , hope someone jumps onto the thread for you x
I still can't decide!! Goddess gel polish is one that i have seen. And saint nails, but ruled them out now. Don't really want to pay to much for my lay out as not busy enough yet. Other thought was premier gel maybe. Goddess nail polish? Anyone heard of?

I still can't decide!! Goddess gel polish is one that i have seen. And saint nails, but ruled them out now. Don't really want to pay to much for my lay out as not busy enough yet. Other thought was premier gel maybe. Goddess nail polish? Anyone heard of?
It’s overwhelming isn’t it! I’m just reading up about INK London too I think that may be a contender too!

It’s overwhelming isn’t it! I’m just reading up about INK London too I think that may be a contender too!
Yes lovely colours. Do they have their own lamp?

Premier Gel do a LOT of extremely good sales on their products and so far, I’ve found them not half bad as a product. Definitely wouldn’t be wasting your money if you wanted a bit more bang for your buck, I’d say. x

Ooh - poss worth a mention- Premier Gels delivery is a wee bit slow, usually receive about 5 days after your order, but still worth it if you are able to factor that in.

One thing that you may need to consider if you are not a very busy nail tech is the open shelf life of products. I have just returned from The Nec beauty show and INK are 6 months open shelf life. I don't think I will use the colour before the date is up. I am rather dissapointed. That is why I stick normally with cuccio- 3 years open shelf life.
A no brainer really for me.
Decisions??? I hope you get sorted soon.

One thing that you may need to consider if you are not a very busy nail tech is the open shelf life of products. I have just returned from The Nec beauty show and INK are 6 months open shelf life. I don't think I will use the colour before the date is up. I am rather dissapointed. That is why I stick normally with cuccio- 3 years open shelf life.
Hi Rosie. I have just checked on Ink London tech support group. The shelf life is 1 year. Ink London will bring out pure gel polishes. Xx

Mine has 6 months on the label... what's all that about!
Fluid rubber is 12 months . I will work hard to use it as often as I can until santa calls. LOL
Labels don't tell fibs .

I'll send a photo of my bottles. Scroll down to the bottom and you can see the 6M symbol.
6 months.JPG

Perhaps the ones labelled HGC last longer and ones without last only 6 months

Attachments

• CB0A5D5B-D49C-4C12-8636-72632004E7E0.png
    CB0A5D5B-D49C-4C12-8636-72632004E7E0.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 32
I'll send a photo of my bottles. Scroll down to the bottom and you can see the 6M symbol.View attachment 208834

I use INK London and originally the shelf life was 6 months, but it has been 12 months for quite a long time now, but for some reason their labels still say 12 months. They have stated that although they can only guarantee the bottles for 12 months, they are just as likely to last years. I have still got bottles that are nearly 2 years old and they are still good.
They are gradually bringing out polishs with higher gel content as well and they'll last even longer. I love their products.

I love INK London's ILac. It's great that they produce their own products and they sell direct to the nail tech (they only sell to professionals) so they can keep their prices lower. They're very reliable and the gel polish lasts really well, especially over their Fluid Rubber Base (Flubber).

Another company that I think is really worth looking into, especially as you are just starting out, is Ikon.iq. I am going to one of their See & Try events next month th and hoping to introduce their products into my salon as well as I love the fact the products are hypoallergenic and HEMA free so will be far less likely to cause allergies to myself or my clients.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190519-213421.png
    Screenshot_20190519-213421.png
    383.6 KB · Views: 37
That's really good to see that I am not going potty regarding it's shelf life. Thankyou Beautiful you and Allesandra for your information.

To be honest I only have a couple of them as I am normally very happy with my existing brand. Just some colours from INK really appeal.
I bought the liquid flubber to use on one client that has very poor internal health and as I have her booked in on friday.

As I am mrs. forgetful could you let me know if flubber goes on after prep/ base coat?. (or is there no need for base coat?) Is it something that can be used after colour too? Cure time in my lamp is 1 minute they confirmed.
The staff on the stand yesterday it is good for poor nails, but I can trial it on my husband before then. Poor him! ha ha.
Thanks again ladies
RosieR

That's really good to see that I am not going potty regarding it's shelf life. Thankyou Beautiful you and Allesandra for your information.

To be honest I only have a couple of them as I am normally very happy with my existing brand. Just some colours from INK really appeal.
I bought the liquid flubber to use on one client that has very poor internal health and as I have her booked in on friday.

As I am mrs. forgetful could you let me know if flubber goes on after prep/ base coat?. (or is there no need for base coat?) Is it something that can be used after colour too? Cure time in my lamp is 1 minute they confirmed.
The staff on the stand yesterday it is good for poor nails, but I can trial it on my husband before then. Poor him! ha ha.
Thanks again ladies
RosieR

Flubber is a base coat so no need to apply anything else after you've prepped the nails. You could apply another layer on top of colour, before top coat if you want to (although they do a Flubber top coat as well), but I haven't needed to do this. It will take longer to soak off if that's what you'll be doing though.
I use INK's lamp so can't comment on curing with another lamp, although advice I've heard is to double cure if you are trialling another brand. Flubber is 60 seconds in the INK lamp. ILac is 30 seconds for the first coat and 60 seconds for extra coats. I always cure Rock Top for 60 seconds as well. Good luckk

Latest posts

Back