Confused with hair extensions! Grams or strands?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joannesherrell

Reaction score
So the industry standard is 200g but I see '200' used interchangeably between both grams and stands? Is this applicable only if using 1g strands? Do I still use 200 strands when using 0.5g? Because if I stuck with the industry standard of 200g, this would total to 400 strands and I don't feel this is realistic, especially with clients with both small heads and fine hair. I'm a little confused...

With fine hair and small head u would use less anyway so 200 strands will still be plenty.

Most suppliers sell 1g hair now. 0.5g is not as popular. The suppliers I use only sell 1g - SJK, Hair planet, Locks, Archie Lloyds.

Go for the tiny tips on small heads or fine hair, u can get 0.8 strands and the tips are much smaller so smaller rings x

Most suppliers sell 1g hair now. 0.5g is not as popular. The suppliers I use only sell 1g - SJK, Hair planet, Locks, Archie Lloyds.

Thanks, Gemma. I tend to use 0.5g strands on clients with very fine hair though as I feel 1g may be a bit too heavy and cause slippage or damage.

Hi @joannesherrell

We recommend around 150 grams for a full head on an average client however, clients who want the super thick look OR have thick hair will need at least 200 grams. We find it easier to work by grams x

Hi @joannesherrell

We recommend around 150 grams for a full head on an average client however, clients who want the super thick look OR have thick hair will need at least 200 grams. We find it easier to work by grams x

Totally agree xxx

I use around 150 to 160 strands for a full head.

Latest posts

Back