Nano’s falling out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne1

Reaction score
I had nano extensions put in 5 weeks ago. I’ve already lost 42 extensions. The majority in the first 4 weeks. This is the third time this set has been applied by the same technician; however she has reduced volume from initial 120 strands which felt too heavy. They are Zen extension and from what I can see she’s using metal rings – no silicon bonds. Now she applies about 100. I’ve previously lost approx. 20-25 in a 6-week period. This time they are sliding out / getting tangled and coming out at a high rate. Whilst they are sliding out sporadically at various volumes, they often take significant hair with it. My Hairdresser has previously said I’m potentially being too rough with them or it’s shedding. However, as this is the third application, post 4 years of wearing Micro rings (Also by the same technician with regular losses of 15 between applications) I’m really starting to question if this is me or the application / rings - so would really appreciate advice. I have fine hair. Swapped to nano as micros were more visible. Some days I will find one of two tangled in hair randomly and have already come out. One day I lost 4 when I woke up and hadn’t even brushed yet (Hadn’t washed in 3 days and then Washed my hair and lost another 3. I always wash hair approx. every third day, only condition at the mid-point, brush gently whilst held at midpoint with a tangle tease and use Denman extension brush daily. Medium heat blow dry. Technician also recommended La Brasiliana Zero Clear Keratin Collagen Hair Straightening Treatmen for the ends to stop the tangling. I also sleep in a plat, with a silk head scarf on. I do feel the quality of this hair is not as good as before and I certainly can’t keep paying for Nano’s that are falling out like this.
However, I really love extensions. I had a 6-month break after the first application of these Nanos as well as I was concerned first time round about the volume of falling out and breakage. When you don’t have much hair to start with I really don’t want to create more damage. I take supplements to promote my natural hair growth too. Really feel like giving up on them at the moment unless there is a solution. Any advice before I speak to my hairdresser? They are usually fully removed and put back in after 8 weeks.

Attachments

• B400A97B-E0D8-4441-B357-7AFA19B2265D.jpeg
    B400A97B-E0D8-4441-B357-7AFA19B2265D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 4E2F0A42-039B-4851-9639-26E457CB643A.jpeg
    4E2F0A42-039B-4851-9639-26E457CB643A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 16930306-DB54-4346-96FA-FE3AAF2F3254.jpeg
    16930306-DB54-4346-96FA-FE3AAF2F3254.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 02501E85-CAD9-43CD-8DD1-250021F52CDA.jpeg
    02501E85-CAD9-43CD-8DD1-250021F52CDA.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Hi there. Aw this is a shame it’s not nice to keep losing your lovely extensions all the time! I’ll try and help if I can. From the photo of the nanos it could be a couple of things. Prep of the hair before install. The nanos are coming out with the rings still on so it may be something on the hair causing them to slip. Secondly it could be that the sections are just too small. Even a nano ring can take a fairly sturdy section and that ring should be packed tight so it stays put. You don’t want to have small sections on fine hair anyway not with a big bond on (this is where people mistakenly think nanos are best for fine hair.) if I were you and unhappy with my last couple of installs I would simply go somewhere else. Hope this helps! Xx

Hi there. Aw this is a shame it’s not nice to keep losing your lovely extensions all the time! I’ll try and help if I can. From the photo of the nanos it could be a couple of things. Prep of the hair before install. The nanos are coming out with the rings still on so it may be something on the hair causing them to slip. Secondly it could be that the sections are just too small. Even a nano ring can take a fairly sturdy section and that ring should be packed tight so it stays put. You don’t want to have small sections on fine hair anyway not with a big bond on (this is where people mistakenly think nanos are best for fine hair.) if I were you and unhappy with my last couple of installs I would simply go somewhere else. Hope this helps! Xx
I agree, make sure you use a clarifying shampoo before application, use conditioner on mid-lengths and ends. Have larger sections for each strand.
Like you said, if it’s pulling your hair out, that can create further problems down their line. If the problem still exists after another technician, another method that might be suitable is tapes or weft/tracks/La weave, this can be quite discreet if installed correctly. However, I suggest another break if those pictures are recent and allow the new growth to kick in. All the best x

Latest posts

Back