Contact dermatitis development question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonU

Reaction score
Hi guys,

One of my friends has a bit of a rash on her thumb and it looks like an allergic reaction as far as i'm concerned. I did her nails last Tuesday and the rash developed on Friday. Does that sound like an allergy to a nail product or would that have typically developed soon after the nail appointment? I know we don't diagnose but I know a few of you have allergies yourselves to some products so was just wondering how soon after you would see a rash if you were allergic to a product.

Thanks all.

I hope you all have a great day! I'm off to work. :hug:

Hi guys,

One of my friends has a bit of a rash on her thumb and it looks like an allergic reaction as far as i'm concerned. I did her nails last Tuesday and the rash developed on Friday. Does that sound like an allergy to a nail product or would that have typically developed soon after the nail appointment? I know we don't diagnose but I know a few of you have allergies yourselves to some products so was just wondering how soon after you would see a rash if you were allergic to a product.

Thanks all.

I hope you all have a great day! I'm off to work. :hug:

I would expect an allergic reaction to show within 12 hours from contact with the allergen, and if it was to a chemical in a nail product, I would expect to see it on more than one finger! I would expect to see redness, swelling and possible tissue breakout.

This doesn't sound to me as if it is nail product related.

Oh ok, great! Thanks Geeg. I didn't think so either just was hoping not as I'm very careful about not getting product on skin and she absolutely loves me doing her nails. It would have been a shame if she developed an allergy!

Oh ok, great! Thanks Geeg. I didn't think so either just was hoping not as I'm very careful about not getting product on skin and she absolutely loves me doing her nails. It would have been a shame if she developed an allergy!

Allergies do not normally develop overnight. The first warning sign is a sensitivity which would present itself as itching or redness in the area of contact. If this warning sign is ignored and repeated contact occurs, then it can develop into a full blown allergy. This knowledge should empower you to explain to your client that she most likely has been in contact with another irritant and that it is highly unlikely that anything she is suffering is nail related.

Allergies do not normally develop overnight. The first warning sign is a sensitivity which would present itself as itching or redness in the area of contact. If this warning sign is ignored and repeated contact occurs, then it can develop into a full blown allergy. This knowledge should empower you to explain to your client that she most likely has been in contact with another irritant and that it is highly unlikely that anything she is suffering is nail related.

I will do! I don't think she was even thinking it was nail related. I just wanted to be sure because she was over on Saturday and I looked at her nails and saw the rash on her thumb. She said she was cleaning a lot on Friday and wasn't using gloves so I imagine she has developed an allergy from that.

I will do! I don't think she was even thinking it was nail related. I just wanted to be sure because she was over on Saturday and I looked at her nails and saw the rash on her thumb. She said she was cleaning a lot on Friday and wasn't using gloves so I imagine she has developed an allergy from that.
it does not sound like an allergy ... It sounds like contact dermatitis ... A small reaction to something is not a full blown allergic reaction. I think we all must get these terms correct and understand them. :hug:

My apologies! I thought that contact dermatitis was a form of an allergy but you learn something new every day! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back