Contracts and commission.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missy-moo

Reaction score
Hi to everybody!
I am new to the salon geek website, well in posting threads anyhow! Have been browsing through all sorts of questions and answers and found them all to be extremely helpful.
I am in the process of renovating my new salon, he hee very excited!, and will be taking on experienced team members on a commission basis as well as apprentices.
I have read a lot of threads on commission v rent a chair and feel that the commission basis will work for our place and the team members but i am not too sure how the apprentiship scheme works with regards to wages, can any body shed any light please???

Also, we are putting together contracts for the team to protect all, i know there must be a million and one terms and conditions /policies and procedures that need to be included can anybody, salon owners and staff members, offer any more advise on this minefield . How has it worked out for you??

Warm wishes...missy-moo x

apprentices are usually paid a fixed training allowance. If you contact a couple of your local colleges they will advise you what that is. The apprentice should have a training agreement with you.Also you pay them for the day at college as well as any additional training courses. Plus 28 days holiday.

Hi, the current apprenticeship training wage is £90.01 per week (the 1p is very important) but it is going up next academic year (from Sept 09)

The apprentice can work 16-30hrs per week and there must be a senior therapist on the premises at all times, i.e. they can't be left to lock up alone etc...

Hope that helps :) x

Last edited:
Hi

I can recommend a fabulous HR consultant that can sort a lot of this for you. Last year I set up a new spa/salon and he did all my policies and contracts for me, he will also guide you through all the queries you may have and ensure you meet with all the legislative minefield requirements. You sign up for his services yearly and this includes monthly newsletters and access to him for advice. He's very reasonable too.

Can PM you his details if you would like?

Good luck with your venture

Laura

Persianista is spot on- we work with local colleges to provide free legal clinics for their students and employers and the apprenticeship schemes most of them run are extremely successful and their employers are well informed. The rates are changing so make sure you ask that too.

You might also like to consider clawback clauses in your contracts where you can get a rebate on training costs should the apprentice leave before their training expires..

Latest posts

Back