cost of houses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is a lot of money you are looking at £378 a month repayment on a £56000 house and £261.00 Intrest only that is if the Interest rate is around 5.6%.

This sort of money on top of other house hold bills and other things you need is just mad when you said your hubby is only on a samll wage.

Also you would want to do loads of work on the house once it is yours and this will not be cheep as you know!

Maybe once the little one is a little older you may have this choice but I know where you are coming from if the council anre going to kepp putting the price up each year for your house when will you be able to afford it! seems dam unfair really.

Good luck
Caz xxx:hug:

LindaH73 said:
We have been thinking about buying our council house but unless i get back to work it isn't going to happen. Its so frustrating! My hubby only earns £14,000 a year. I don't work as my youngest is just over a year and unless i go back to work full-time it isn't worth me going back.

Our friends who live in the same street as us bought their council house two years ago. They got it for £38,000 that includes £22,000 discount. Their house is an end terrace so they have a larger plot of land than us. Our house is a mid link and the council want £56,000 that includes our £22,000 off. It is so frustrating because the houses prices are about the same here as they were two years ago, so how come we are paying a lot more!!!

We would be paying about £300 per month which we could just about manage but the idea of buying it was so that we could do it up. We wanted a loft conversion (only two bedrooms so we wanted three as we have a girl and a boy), a new kitchen, double glazing and would have loved a conservatory. Now we would be lucky if we could afford bunk beds if we buy the place, hence me having to go back to work!!! :cry:

Hi,

We moved into our new house two and a half years ago. It's a grade 2 listed building which is beautiful with a absolutely massive garden and huge huge bedrooms (4 to be precise).

We bought it for £180,000 of which £60,000 was a deposit (profit from our previous home). We had to stretch a fair amount to buy the above house, but it's been really worth it.

We had it valued 2 months ago and we would comfortable be able to put it on the market for £255,000 now (that's a £75,000 increase). If we wanted to push our luck, we could probably get away with £265 / £270.

The point is, that at the time, I wasn't really sure if I wanted to move or wanted the extra burden of a higher mortgage, however, I absolutely love my house and if we wanted to buy it now, there would be no way we could afford it. So I'm glad we took the jump when we did.

I believe the housing market will slow down and even out for the next couple of years as it can't keep increasing at the rate it has been, so it might be worthwile looking for something else then.

River

Can't really help on your question but just thought I'd mention that they've just said on the radio that a beach hut is up for sale for £135,000 (yep that comma and number of noughts is right) ... and I bet it sells too.

Oh Sassy I will have a couple of them at that price!:lol:

Caz xxx

Sassy #1 said:
Can't really help on your question but just thought I'd mention that they've just said on the radio that a beach hut is up for sale for £135,000 (yep that comma and number of noughts is right) ... and I bet it sells too.

Latest posts

Back