Could this be a reaction or just eczema?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bexnorm

Reaction score
Hoping for a bit of help! I'm a nail tech and pregnant and suffered with really dry skin with my first pregnancy as well. I've just done a hand mask to try and help moisturise my hands again but it's come out really red and a bit painful. I'm thinking it could be a reaction but just hoping for a second opinion as to whether it's serious enough to go a dr about (as the waiting times for mine at the moment is 5-6weeks!) TIA!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1492109476.273727.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1492109485.803220.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1492109494.272024.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1492109501.586494.jpg

That looks nasty. I think we would all struggle to give advice as you're pregnant as well. There are anti histamines you can take in pregnancy. If your surgery is always full (and it's now a bank holiday) I'd maybe try and see a pharmacist.

Your skin may have reacted so badly because you're actually allergic to a product in the treatment, or it may be that because the skin so dry, it's caused a sensitivity. Either way, unless it's improved by now, I'd get some advice.

And good luck with your pregnancy.

Vic x

That looks nasty. I think we would all struggle to give advice as you're pregnant as well. There are anti histamines you can take in pregnancy. If your surgery is always full (and it's now a bank holiday) I'd maybe try and see a pharmacist.

Your skin may have reacted so badly because you're actually allergic to a product in the treatment, or it may be that because the skin so dry, it's caused a sensitivity. Either way, unless it's improved by now, I'd get some advice.

And good luck with your pregnancy.

Vic x
Thank you! I know if I had a client that reacted like that I'd definitely be telling them to see a dr. But it's always different when it's ourselves isn't it?!

It's definitely calmed down now it's just so dry! I've tried pharmacy before and used eczema cream they gave but doesn't do much really. Just frustrating and embarrassing doing people's nails with such persistently dry hands! Do you know of any hand masks that are fragrance free?

I fully endorse what Vic has said however, if you are unable get a doctors appointment, you could try Aveeno hand cream in the interim. It is made from oats and recommended for very dry and sensitive skin. It's not perfumed and unlikely to exacerbate your problem. I know it's an otc product but it is one worth trying.

Hope you feel better soon and good luck with your pregnancy.

I fully endorse what Vic has said however, if you are unable get a doctors appointment, you could try Aveeno hand cream in the interim. It is made from oats and recommended for very dry and sensitive skin. It's not perfumed and unlikely to exacerbate your problem. I know it's an otc product but it is one worth trying.

Hope you feel better soon and good luck with your pregnancy.

Thank you! I'll get some today and give it a go! My local pharmacy is closed until Tuesday too so will speak to them then.

Latest posts

Back