Could you please help me to choose the right option for further education. THANK YOU

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missunderstood

Reaction score
Hi there :)

I'll just go straight to the point.

Could you please, help me, as you more experienced (that's for sure),and propably know the worth doing courses in beauty industry.

Here is my problem:
I'm 27 years old. And I'm qualified Beauty THerapist at level BTEC or S/NVQ3 (As my UK NARIC certificate says). It's complicated.
I've done 2 years of beauty therapy training/ full time but in the other EU country, not UK.
Then I've worked for 2 years in one of Beauty Salon in my mother country. After that I've moved to the uk, living here 5 years now, and always wanted to work as beautican but, I didnt feel confident enough to do that. I do feel now. But here another problem occurs.
Now, when I've had 5 years break, lots have changed. And I know I need to do some kind of skills refreshment, and also improve, learn a lot more. I've asked in one of Beauty colleges in the UK they told me I can go straight to do NVQ level 3 If I want to, and I'm thinking bout that but courses are starting next year, and I'm gonna finish doing them at age 29 :/, then I'll gonna start from beginning which scares me a bit. I'd love to save some time.

I was thinking that mabye it would be a good idea to do some short courses, as I need to top up my knowledge with some electric treatments, microdermabrasion etc.
Could you please recommend any good courses in london,If you know any, so potential employer wouldn't send me away.

Or
Do you think, that there would be any possibility that I could be trained in some salon, which would be best option for me, but I'm not sure if this one is possible to do.
And I feel like without some UK certificates none of employers would be interested in employing me.

I just don't have idea where to start.:confused:

IS NVQ any better than VTCT qualifications? :|

I am a bit lost now...

I'll appreciate any help with whole my heart.

I'm sorry for too many words to read in my post.. :)

Thank You.

Hi there
If you already have equivalent of BTEC I personally think you would be wasting you time doing NVQ3.

Do you feel confident in regular treatments such as waxing, massage etc. if so most salons would expect to train you in the extra treatments they offer, such as microdermabrasion and the products they use. Why not start looking for a job and see what comes up, take your CV into local salons ask them to contact you if and when they get a vacancy. I don't think you will find it a problem that you didn't train here in the UK, as long as your certificate is recognised.
I hope you find something, best of luck.

Hi there :)

I'll just go straight to the point.

Could you please, help me, as you more experienced (that's for sure),and propably know the worth doing courses in beauty industry.

Here is my problem:
I'm 27 years old. And I'm qualified Beauty THerapist at level BTEC or S/NVQ3 (As my UK NARIC certificate says). It's complicated.
I've done 2 years of beauty therapy training/ full time but in the other EU country, not UK.
Then I've worked for 2 years in one of Beauty Salon in my mother country. After that I've moved to the uk, living here 5 years now, and always wanted to work as beautican but, I didnt feel confident enough to do that. I do feel now. But here another problem occurs.
Now, when I've had 5 years break, lots have changed. And I know I need to do some kind of skills refreshment, and also improve, learn a lot more. I've asked in one of Beauty colleges in the UK they told me I can go straight to do NVQ level 3 If I want to, and I'm thinking bout that but courses are starting next year, and I'm gonna finish doing them at age 29 :/, then I'll gonna start from beginning which scares me a bit. I'd love to save some time.

I was thinking that mabye it would be a good idea to do some short courses, as I need to top up my knowledge with some electric treatments, microdermabrasion etc.
Could you please recommend any good courses in london,If you know any, so potential employer wouldn't send me away.

Or
Do you think, that there would be any possibility that I could be trained in some salon, which would be best option for me, but I'm not sure if this one is possible to do.
And I feel like without some UK certificates none of employers would be interested in employing me.

I just don't have idea where to start.:confused:

IS NVQ any better than VTCT qualifications? :|

I am a bit lost now...

I'll appreciate any help with whole my heart.

I'm sorry for too many words to read in my post.. :)

Thank You.

Hi there

sounds to me like a refresher could be what you need or have you tried writing to salons in your area and offering to do 1 day a week (without pay) for salon experience? That could get you up to date with beauty and would also get your confidence up!

Good luck whatever you decide!:hug:

I'm not familiar with NARIC (although I did google it), but if you have the equivalent of a BTEC, NVQ level 3 in beauty therapy, then I don't see why you would need to get an NVQ level 3? I'm only taking a guess here, but it may be that the college you enquired at offer the NVQ 3 which is why they suggested you do it.

Did your initial training include electrical therapy? If it did, then as NARIC said, I would imagine you already have an NVQ 3 equivalent.

I agree that it sounds to me like you need a refresher course rather than retraining to bring you up to date with current therapies and techniques and to boost your confindence.

It may help to contact a couple of insurance bodies like BABTAC or Guild Of Professional Beauty Therapists to see if your current certification would cover you.

hello again :)

Thank you sooo sooo much for your replays it means a lot to me :).
I would'nt event think that particular salons would like to train any body to the standards they need as it could be waste of their time.. Most of Beauty Salons require to have NVQ level3.
Yes I did have some training bout electric equipment but I dont remember much to be honest :/
I'd love to do microdermabrasion course etc.

Yes I thought bout working for some salon (without pay) just to get some experience, I've asked one or two, and owner of one of them told me that It's necessary to have UK diplomas, so that is where I got confused :confused:
Also It seems like a bit of risk for potential emploee, to hire somebody like me I guess, this is how I see it hmm..

I think I don't feel confident enough and thats my biggest problem. I havent got any experience in working as Beauty Therapist in the UK and got no idea if theres many differences than what I experienced years ago.

About my Certificates translation: the person I was speaking to at college I've mentioned, he said that yes I am trained to this and that level but it does'nt necessairly mean LEVEL 3 in This country.

I need to find out more bout insurance bodies mentioned by Mrs.Clooney :). Does every beauty therapist need to buy an insurance then, for offering treatments, over here?

I' ll try my best, and I'd love to learn and learn and practice a lot I LOVE IT. Just need to build my confidence somehow, as it's stopping me from doing things.

Ohhh anyway
BIG THANK YOU to all of you :))
I was supprised that response was so quick.
I'll try to ask in some places, uh it's just so stressing me out and scary :p
but it's more bout my not perfect english than other things.

Anyway, thank you once again for your help :)))
You're such a LOVELY people :))))

Best wishes!

J.

Latest posts

Back