Couldn't complete Shellac manicure due to power cut - would you charge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80's Girl

Reaction score
So I was in the middle of applying shellac at someone's home yesterday in the storms and there was a power cut! We waited 15 minutes without it coming back on before I decided to remove what I had done. One hand had been cured so I had to use remover wipes. They offered to pay something but I couldn't think quick enough so said we'll sort it out at her next appointment.

Would you have charged something for materials/time even though it was nobodies fault?

Jo x

So I was in the middle of applying shellac at someone's home yesterday in the storms and there was a power cut! We waited 15 minutes without it coming back on before I decided to remove what I had done. One hand had been cured so I had to use remover wipes. They offered to pay something but I couldn't think quick enough so said we'll sort it out at her next appointment.

Would you have charged something for materials/time even though it was nobodies fault?

Jo x

Absolutely not. Even insurance doesn't pay out for 'Act of God'. I wouldn't pay for a manicure if it wasn't completed. I would find it extreamely rude to even be asked for payment. It was neither your fault or her fault but as you are the service provider sometimes you need to take a hit and let's be fair here what is it you're losing..nothing much worth even writing about. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't charge anything, and wouldn't expect to pay as a customer!

I wouldn't charge. You have spent time and used products but its good customer service not to as she didnt get her mani,sometimes your customer service amd what she thinks of you is more important. Also I would think that strictly speaking its probably against trades description to charge?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't! doing something like this would be career suicide.

The client is disappointed enough about not being able to have their nails done for Xmas, without charging them too.

I would personally call the client today and clear up the fact that she is not going to be charged, Wish her a Merry Christmas and invite her to book in with me again, or I would have tried to rearrange an appointment before Xmas day, even if it meant starting earlier.

Last edited:
I wouldn't charge. I might even give her a mini solar oil or something next time as she was probably disappointed she couldn't have her mani.

If you were able you could have painted the other hand in vinylux (if it was a matching shade) then returned today/later to replace that hand with shellac. Meaning you hadn't lost any product/wraps except for the vinylux which is cheap as chips anyway :)

Thank you for your replies. I'm reassured that I was right not to charge. She has already called me today asking if I can fit her in between Christmas and New Year as she was so looking forward to having nice nails. I'll fit her in as she's local. To the last post - unfortunately I couldn't apply Vinylux either as it was already dark, we had to remove by torchlight which was enough of a challenge! :)

Merry Christmas x

Latest posts

Back