Cracks in Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxiwoo

Reaction score
Hi - I had a client in last week for a shellac mani - after 2 days she has sent me a text to say there are cracks on one nail towards the free edge (they're not long). I used Salmon Run and as I find the pigment is not strong I applied 3 coats (which I have done on other clients without issue) as I know the rule is thin to win. I then burnished in some Lecente Neptune glitter, top coated, applied solar oil. Has anyone had this happen to them as it's never happened to me before and I've been using various brands of gel polish for 3 years - puzzled.

I have only had this happen on my own nails (I can be clumsy and whack my hands on things without realising, this can cause a crack line to appear.) As my nails are weak and therefore prone to peeling, cracks can appear on nails that have peeled under the CND Shellac. Once the CND Shellac is removed you can see if it's peeled underneath. If it is peeling I suggest using IBX as this really helps my nails. I hope this makes sense and helps. X

I have only had this happen on my own nails (I can be clumsy and whack my hands on things without realising, this can cause a crack line to appear.) As my nails are weak and therefore prone to peeling, cracks can appear on nails that have peeled under the CND Shellac. Once the CND Shellac is removed you can see if it's peeled underneath. If it is peeling I suggest using IBX as this really helps my nails. I hope this makes sense and helps. X
Thanks for replying Claire - her nails are really healthy and this is the first time she's ever had any type of gel polish on her nails. It's a mystery

She's probably whacked them and not remembered then ;) x

They can crack if they're chewed accidentally. Being a first timer she s not yet learnt how to look after them x

They can also crack if your topcoat is applied too thick, I know this as if often happens on my right hand when I apply shellac on myself and can't get it as thin as I would like due to being right handed and lack of time!

I agree with 'tanned'......Too thick an application can result in either peeling, chipping or cracking.
Also, nails that are thin, can 'flex' more easily underneath, so will also increase the risk of the above.
Give IBX a go....:)

Do you provide a solar oil pinkie? I give one to each of my ladies the first time they have their nails done. It does help in my opinion. Makes clients more aware of looking after their nails if nothing else x

Latest posts

Back