Crazy colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo222

Reaction score
Hello there,
This is one of my first posts so please bare with me!
I've got a new client - through Facebook wanting crazy colour purple and blue. Now I don't really have much experience with crazy colours as its not what our salon usually attracts! As she wants blue & purple what colour do I need to lift it upto? In her pic she looks about a 5 but hard to tell without seeing her. Also, if she changed her mind and went for say, a red the next time, how easy is it to remove a crazy colour? Are the easy to colour over? Does crazy colour cover over another crazy colour?
Sorry for the long post! Any help greatly appreciated X

You need to lift to a ten, tone with violet to get a clean white, then I'd use pravana vivids. You can mix them with clear to get exactlt what you want. Remember, what you see is what you get.

Pravana is easier to remove, just mix clear or 10 permanent color with 6% and it usually slides right out.

Fully agree with needing a clean base first otherwise you will end up with some really odd colours. Tsparker78 are there uk pravana suppliers now? I want to use it but go between rusk direct and osmo colour psycho xxx

Siobrenna, I have no idea, I am US based.

Aw cool! It's all a bit Un official getting pravana here! Ebay and the like! Xxx

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll remember that though and not post about it untill they are available for ya'll. Sorry about that!

Depends on how dark a blue/violet. Violet you can get away with a lv.7+raw blue needs the lighter the better because if theres yellow in the raw hair, yellow + blue make green. Stripping out the purple with bleach will turn teal which is hard to cover up

Thank you for all of your help!! Looking through her pictures, she seems to change her hair quite a lot - blonde/pink/red/dark I don't want to seem unprofessional and ask how she manages to change it! I wonder if there's any fashion colour courses that I could go on? Just to get the knowledge behind it! xx

Theres so much information on here you just need to search through the threads. I think ive explained at least 10 times about how underlying pigments in crazy colour and other semi permanent direct dyes affect what level you need to lift to, but for you heres a couple of things;
Cool toned colours i.e. blues, greens, violets need to be applied to a pale yellow base, or indeed a toned level 10. It is at your discretion how best your chosen brands/tones work and so it is always worth using test pieces to see how strong or pale a cool toned semi is. I have no qualms using a turquoise such as Directions or Adore Aquamarine over a raw level 9 because of the green tones in the colour, but for say a true blue, or a pastel blue, you definitely need pale yellow or white hair for optimum results .
Yellow on its own needs to be applied over at least a level 9 as you would expect.
Warm toned colours i.e. reds, oranges, pinks and some purples actually work better on levels 8-9, and these tones have better flexibility for a whole range of purposes, such as:
If you colour a client's hair copper or red with permanent tint, you can brighten and refresh the tone using a semi permanent orange or red over the top, with no damage and this is something the client can do at home.
If you are performing a colour correction from black or dark brown, and the client wants some kind of fashion colour but you cant lift the hair further than a level 7, you can easily apply a red or a deep red-based purple or even pink (these purples look pinky rather than blue when you open them and look) such as Crazy Colour Aubergine, Cyclamen etc which will cover the orange tones from the bleach and stick rather well because the underlying pigment is also warm toned so the colour usually lasts a bit longer than over level 9 or 10 hair.

These kinds of colours give you so much creative freedom without the damage caused by repeatedly using oxidative toners to create bright fashion shades over bleached hair, they can be a bit of a bugger to remove, especially cool tones like greens and blues, but they are so popular for young people as an easily changeable look over bleached hair that its worth tapping into that market. At the end of the day, if they want to go back to normal the colours will fade out in 3 days to 6 weeks depending on how often they wash, whether they use sulfate free shampoo, and the depth and the tones that are used.

You makes some excellent observations here. Thank you!

There is a company here that do pravana colours (in UK) as well as the guy tang balayage kit. They specifically order it in from America for you and if you ask they make special orders for you they are brilliant with customer service.

Am I allowed to put their name up??

Yes!! Are you serious? I've only found it on dye box.co.uk but not the balayage kit

Yes!! Are you serious? I've only found it on dye box.co.uk but not the balayage kit
That's the company they have sold out of balayage kits at the min but they are selling the individual items of the kit too email them they literally will restock within 3 days of you showing interest in a certain product, they work on demand

There is a company here that do pravana colours (in UK) as well as the guy tang balayage kit. They specifically order it in from America for you and if you ask they make special orders for you they are brilliant with customer service.

Am I allowed to put their name up??

[emoji33][emoji16]

That's the company they have sold out of balayage kits at the min but they are selling the individual items of the kit too email them they literally will restock within 3 days of you showing interest in a certain product, they work on demand
Yes but it's like £100, which is ridiculous for a tub of bleach and 3 peroxides, and I love guy tang, but not that much [emoji23]. It's cheaper to order it from America yourself if you really want it. Amazon.com [emoji1] but Freelights by Wella or freehand by loreal are both kaolin based and easy to get here in the UK. It is nice to support a fellow stylist doing well though. You could order Sunlights balayage lightner too from the US, I love Candy Shaw and think she and her people are the best balayage artists on the planet!!

I have to agree with Chris about it not being cost effective.

It makes a lot more sense to stick with a product range that you can buy locally. There's nothing worse than running out of your favourite bleach but equally you don't want to have money tied up in storing lots of stock.

There's so many good quality direct dye brands available over here to choose from so I don't see the point in buying Pravanna when it costs so much to import with shipping and taxes. :rolleyes:

Wow why is it 130 quid?

I'd definitely invest in sunlights but from what i've heard about the GT pravanna lightener the lift isn't all its made out to be.

I have to agree with the above. I've purchased my Pravana from them but at £15 a tube it's not cost effective. I'm now trying Affinage which is much more cost savvy than Pravana for direct dyes and not like manic panic crazy colour etc... Meaning that they are easily sourced by clients. AcidPerm you are so wise!!

I have to agree with the above. I've purchased my Pravana from them but at £15 a tube it's not cost effective. I'm now trying Affinage which is much more cost savvy than Pravana for direct dyes and not like manic panic crazy colour etc... Meaning that they are easily sourced by clients. AcidPerm you are so wise!!
Sugar plumfaery I cant find affinage anywhere do you go direct. Its driving me mad they all want £100 minimum.order:mad:

Hairways. You'll need to call them. I'm yet to try them but Jaymz uses them in all his work

Latest posts

Back