Crisis at Christmas....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

late starter

Reaction score
Hello, I've volounteered this year for the first time to do some hairdressing for 'Crisis at Christmas'. I'm only a level 3 student and a bit nervous as what to expect. I am totaly aware of what type of people I will be helping, but it's more the whole experience and I'm not experienced at really on afro hair!!!!! I've had one client at college and that's it, I'm totally fine with european/asian hair. So has anyone volunteered for hairdressing the homeless before? And any last minute advice on afro hair as I'm going tomorrow!! I have chosen only to do womens' hair. Please share your experiences :)

I can't offer any advice, just a big pat on the back. Your help will mean so much to people in that situation. Merry Christmas. :hug:

What your doing will mean more to them than the end result, I promise you! I have done these events before, as an unexperienced junior, as well as a qualified pro. Truly it has very little to do with your skill, its about making someone feel good, through human touch and compassion. Dont worry for a minute, just realx, enjoy that your doing a good thing. It will surprise you that you leave feeling better as a person than when you arrived. I applaude you, you are doing a marvelous thing:hug:

you are doing the most amazing thing :hug:

what a wonderful thing to do , i would love to find something similar in canada , they are big on vounteering but i havent found anything like it yet , xxx

First of all, you are NOT 'only a L3 student'. When I trained (which was about a hundred and fifty eight years ago) a level 3 was a 'fab thing to get to'. Apprentices did three years 'in salon' with one day at college and full timers went to college full time for 2 years then did 3 years 'Improving'. As a L3 student you have learned your trade and have proved your worth. Now you need to go out into the industry and hone your skills - as we all had to do.

But ... if you don't know how to deal with things because you haven't been taught ...ASK! And asking your client is all good. How else do we learn?

If you need to deal with Afro hair get the girl who you're helping guide you!
It has to be said that looking after Afro hair is different to European/Asian hair, but that's all it is ...different. Ask questions. Take your lead from your client. You can always learn :)
And if you really can't do it, then tell her. Be honest.

You are doing a wonderful, wonderful thing. Keep your head up. Be confident. And if you're not sure, don't use chemicals and blag it!!!!!!!!!

hugs to you for doing it :)

Hello, I've volounteered this year for the first time to do some hairdressing for 'Crisis at Christmas'. I'm only a level 3 student and a bit nervous as what to expect. I am totaly aware of what type of people I will be helping, but it's more the whole experience and I'm not experienced at really on afro hair!!!!! I've had one client at college and that's it, I'm totally fine with european/asian hair. So has anyone volunteered for hairdressing the homeless before? And any last minute advice on afro hair as I'm going tomorrow!! I have chosen only to do womens' hair. Please share your experiences :)

Latest posts

Back