Cruelty free products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oasis

Nail Mad
Reaction score
Hi Geeks. This is a little random but I'm just looking for other peoples opinions when it comes to cruelty free products.
I use Mac make up, I know their umbrella company test on animals and it bothers me.
The question is why am I upset about this, I eat meat, I wear leather, Ugg boots etc and I know a lot of us think this way.
Do you think in society that we see some forms of animal cruelty as almost acceptable when others are not.
How many of us have leather jackets, trainers etc but would NEVER wear fur?
I don't really see the difference.
We don't need to eat meat to survive - which is proved by all the healthy vegans and vegetarians -,but a lot of us do while at the same time hating cruelty.
I think that some forms of animal use are seen as ok - depending on which animal it is but surely if it's wrong for one creature then the same should go for all.
I just wondered if anyone else has opinions on this? The whole thing is really starting to bother me. I'm going to stop using ALL animal produce. Xx

To be honest I wear leather and eat meat but now I think about it it's simply because the animal is killed and that's the end. With cosmetics/medications etc animals are often suffering for a time while being tested on, perhaps it's this that bothers people most? Lots of food companies pride themselves on giving animals a great life (free range) before they go to the abattoirs. Makes the consumer feel better about eating it somehow. Just my ten bobs worth lol I don't know a lot about cruelty free and animal testing, really.

There is no need for anything to suffer in this day and age. For example why buy cows milk when you can have rice/almond/oat etc etc. You either make the cruel choice or you don't but we all know animals don't have nice lives before they're killed and they definitely don't want to die so someone can have a nice new pair of leather shoes. Mac also test on animals now. Everyone knows the suffering that goes on but it's easy to block it out for that amazing animal tested lipstick x

I love this thread as im constantly thinking about this.
ive recently started gradually going eco in my home life, cloth nappies and wipes, eco egg for washing, earth friendly products.
but keep thinking I could definitely go veggy but could I go vegan? yeah I could but hubby is a chef and I bet he eoukd go mad. (my 4yo is veggy)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Nobody or nothing actually wants to die, I can't have eggs and dairy so that part doesn't bother me but I couldn't never eat meat again. Different strokes for different folks.
I personally think there is a huge difference between slowly torturing an animal over a product and killing one outright for sustenance.

Going vegan doesn't mean missing out and living off salad, these days you can get vegan eggs, cheese, curries, meat and fish substitutes, chocolate, sweets, ice cream, literally everything! If you know you can have a dairy chocolate bar that cows have suffered for or a vegan chocolate bar but you go for the dairy one because its handy then what does that say about us?

Going vegan doesn't mean missing out and living off salad, these days you can get vegan eggs, cheese, curries, meat and fish substitutes, chocolate, sweets, ice cream, literally everything! If you know you can have a dairy chocolate bar that cows have suffered for or a vegan chocolate bar but you go for the dairy one because its handy then what does that say about us?

As someone who has recently been taken off all dairy and egg product I can say that it's the taste. The alternatives are rank, I can't see how milking a cow is cruel.
I get eggs off my mum who owns a few hens (the kids still eat eggs, I consider it cruelty free).
My step-dad worked in farming so I am fully aware of how meat goes from feild to plate and can see y it is upsetting for some. It's just I have grown up with it, farming, animal husbandry etc.
is not being vegan a 'bad' thing? Im a firm believer that the earth provides for us. I didn't want to get into a why I won't stop eating meat conversation lol they never end well.

It's pharmaceutical companies and some cosmetic companies I have an issue with. Not just for animal testing either. But I'm sure that's another thread for another forum.

As someone who has recently been taken off all dairy and egg product I can say that it's the taste. The alternatives are rank, I can't see how milking a cow is cruel.
I get eggs off my mum who owns a few hens (the kids still eat eggs, I consider it cruelty free).
My step-dad worked in farming so I am fully aware of how meat goes from feild to plate and can see y it is upsetting for some. It's just I have grown up with it, farming, animal husbandry etc.
is not being vegan a 'bad' thing? Im a firm believer that the earth provides for us. I didn't want to get into a why I won't stop eating meat conversation lol they never end well.

It's pharmaceutical companies and some cosmetic companies I have an issue with. Not just for animal testing either. But I'm sure that's another thread for another forum.

It's not milking the cow that is cruel but a lot of farmers inject cows with synthetic hormones and make the over- produce calves so they produce more milk. Some cows are kept constantly pregnant to keep producing milk and it's too much for their bodies.
I agree about the dairy free alternatives, I don't like a lot of them, I tried dairy free cheese once and it was really odd. Given time I suppose I could grow to like it. :) x

I don't want a debate either, these things go bad quickly lol. I understand a lot of what goes on has been sugar coated so we don't feel bad using animals but all it takes is a little thought about the actual process. For example in regards to milk, cows only produce it when they are pregnant or when they've just given birth so a non milking cow costs money instead of making money. Therefore they are constantly kept pregnant, then the babies are taken away so they don't drink the milk. The females are kept for milking and the unecessary males are sent to veal sheds where they stay for a few months till they are killed. People think they're doing a good deed buying free range eggs but all the baby boy chicks are still crushed to death because they are unnecessary. If it helps the process of going cruelty free just imagine that every time you pay for these products you're paying the wages for people to do these things

I don't want a debate either, these things go bad quickly lol. I understand a lot of what goes on has been sugar coated so we don't feel bad using animals but all it takes is a little thought about the actual process. For example in regards to milk, cows only produce it when they are pregnant or when they've just given birth so a non milking cow costs money instead of making money. Therefore they are constantly kept pregnant, then the babies are taken away so they don't drink the milk. The females are kept for milking and the unecessary males are sent to veal sheds where they stay for a few months till they are killed. People think they're doing a good deed buying free range eggs but all the baby boy chicks are still crushed to death because they are unnecessary. If it helps the process of going cruelty free just imagine that every time you pay for these products you're paying the wages for people to do these things

Omg I did not know that! 🙊

That's so horrible. If people were more aware of these things then more people would avoid these products. I think a lot of the problem is that the companies advertise themselves as "ethical" which is misleading as they are talking about their carbon footprint, not their treatment of animals. X

Do you think in society that we see some forms of animal cruelty as almost acceptable when others are not.
Yes, 100% I think this pretty much sums up the problem.

If you eat or wear animal products or use animal tested makeup, you are contributing to (totally unnecessary) animal suffering.

People have a massive disconnect when it comes to this stuff. Most people would feel horrified if they saw someone abusing or eating a cat or dog but have no problem using an animal tested lipstick or eating a cheeseburger.

I'm vegan for these reasons. But I wasn't always, I was in my late 20s before I went vegan but once the switch had flipped it couldn't be flipped back.

I tried dairy free cheese once and it was really odd. Given time I suppose I could grow to like it. :) x
They are getting better I swear! Some are so bad they make me gag but now we have Violife and Vegusto which are both AWESOME!

I get your point exactly! I'm the same, I wouldn't wear real fur and steer clear of animal tested products but I eat meat, although I do always go for free range, I guess I feel more guilty with testing as they're going through untold hell when there's no need :( xxx

Latest posts

Back