CND Shellac not cruelty free, but is it vegan?

Boid

hi everyone, i'm driving myself crazy trying to find information on this, so as far as i can find out and shellac products contain no animal ingredients which therefore makes them vegan? however cnd shellac is owned by revlon who test on animals, so does that then mean that shellac isn't vegan or are cruelty free and vegan two separate things? thankyou, I have looked and looked, help!

7th-Heaven

hi everyone, i'm driving myself crazy trying to find information on this, so as far as i can find out and shellac products contain no animal ingredients which therefore makes them vegan? however cnd shellac is owned by revlon who test on animals, so does that then mean that shellac isn't vegan or are cruelty free and vegan two separate things? thankyou, I have looked and looked, help!
I think it would depend on your definition of vegan. There's a difference between vegan lifestyle and vegan diet, for example. For the vegans I know, any animal exploitation is off limits. Since Cnd approves testing on animals in certain countries, they are not cruelty free, and therefore not vegan by association, in that case. I think for a cosmetics product to consider themselves Vegan, it's not enough to have zero animal ingredients, but also cruelty free. Cnd does not test on animals in Europe, but they do approve and choose to sell in other countries.

Boid

I think it would depend on your definition of vegan. There's a difference between vegan lifestyle and vegan diet, for example. For the vegans I know, any animal exploitation is off limits. Since Cnd approves testing on animals in certain countries, they are not cruelty free, and therefore not vegan by association, in that case. I think for a cosmetics product to consider themselves Vegan, it's not enough to have zero animal ingredients, but also cruelty free. Cnd does not test on animals in Europe, but they do approve and choose to sell in other countries.
thankyou, they have responded to me via instagram stating that they are vegan and cruelty free, and the only product that isn't vegan is the rescuerxxx keratin treatment as keratin is derived from sheeps wool

7th-Heaven

thankyou, they have responded to me via instagram stating that they are vegan and cruelty free, and the only product that isn't vegan is the rescuerxxx keratin treatment as keratin is derived from sheeps wool
I once asked them if they are cruelty free via Facebook, which they said yes to. When I challenged them on this claim (because they were being vague in their wording) CND did finally admit to selling in countries where testing is required and they are OK with their products being used for this. Very sneaky wording.
It's true that the only product that contains animal products is the keratin rescuerxxx. That doesn't mean its cruelty free.

Boid

i would send the screenshot, but am on my laptop, yeah they basically say they do not conduct animal testing (themselves) but sell their products to many markets and are subject to local rules and regulations. so what i get from that is they don't test, but yes they are tested....very sneaky wording indeed. blerch, it's a minefield as am trying to seek out something similar in appliance but that is vegan and cruelty free @7th-Heaven

7th-Heaven

i would send the screenshot, but am on my laptop, yeah they basically say they do not conduct animal testing (themselves) but sell their products to many markets and are subject to local rules and regulations. so what i get from that is they don't test, but yes they are tested....very sneaky wording indeed. blerch, it's a minefield as am trying to seek out something similar in appliance but that is vegan and cruelty free @7th-Heaven
For me, if they allow their products to be tested and they know it's being tested, just to be able to sell in that particular market, they might as well have done it themselves, it's the same in the end. They are letting it happen because they want to be in that market. Have you considered Light Elegance? There's countless other brands that might suit your needs too.

Boid

For me, if they allow their products to be tested and they know it's being tested, just to be able to sell in that particular market, they might as well have done it themselves, it's the same in the end. They are letting it happen because they want to be in that market. Have you considered Light Elegance? There's countless other brands that might suit your needs too.
yeah i know, and being sneaky about it just makes me dislike them! i have heard good things about ikon.iq , and currently waiting to hear back from magpie beauty to see if their products are vegan/cruelty free, i'm not vegan myself but would prefer all my products to be vegan friendly. i will have a look at light elegance, thankyou

7th-Heaven

yeah i know, and being sneaky about it just makes me dislike them! i have heard good things about ikon.iq , and currently waiting to hear back from magpie beauty to see if their products are vegan/cruelty free, i'm not vegan myself but would prefer all my products to be vegan friendly. i will have a look at light elegance, thankyou
I've also heard good things and would like to try them out if they ever get a Norwegian distributor :)