Customer wanting complete breakdown of costings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandydee

Reaction score
Hi all. My other half is self employed in the building trade & has been for over 10 years. Having just completed a job in which the customer accepted the quotation, is really pleased with the finished result & have paid for the work, they are now requesting a complete breakdown of cosings for each item/materials used, including each supplier & also labour etc. He has never been asked for that much detail & if they were so concerned why didn't they request that information on the quote? I was wondering how other business owners would deal with such a request? We all buy products etc at a trade price & obviously have to earn from each job/treatment we do to make a living. I would appreciate your thoughts & any advice. Thank you. :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi all. My other half is self employed in the building trade & has been for over 10 years. Having just completed a job in which the customer accepted the quotation, is really pleased with the finished result & have paid for the work, they are now requesting a complete breakdown of cosings for each item/materials used, including each supplier & also labour etc. He has never been asked for that much detail & if they were so concerned why didn't they request that information on the quote? I was wondering how other business owners would deal with such a request? We all buy products etc at a trade price & obviously have to earn from each job/treatment we do to make a living. I would appreciate your thoughts & any advice. Thank you. :)

Have they said why?

Personally I don't disclose the professional discounts. As that's really what helps me make a profit.
For example if someone wants a breakdown of hair extensions (obviously very different to your business but easiest of mine to break down)
Hair £100
-30% pro discount
+ £70 fitting
+£25 aftercare pack
=165 (obviously this is a pretend price)

To a client I would list it
Hair £100
+ £40 fitting
+ £25 aftercare pack
= £165

If you get my meaning x

Sent from the catphone

The only valid reason is if they can claim vat back on some items. For work on listed buildings or converting office to private use you can make some vat claims. Otherwise I think it's a cheek! A total cost of materials plus labour would be all I'd give them.

Thanks guys. I know it is a very different line if business that my other half does but I do mobile beauty & never had a client ask for a prcing breakdown. He did send a list but listed all materials with one total price & also names of suppliers but not where each item was from, if you get my meaning.

No, they haven't said why, just that they are very pleased with the work. They have also emailed a spreadsheet of how they would like it all itemised...:confused:

No, they haven't said why, just that they are very pleased with the work. They have also emailed a spreadsheet of how they would like it all itemised...:confused:

Personally I wouldn't fill it in.
They're happy with the work and the price. Why do they want to know?

He's given them more then enough info already.

Has he asked why they want it?

I'd just reply saying "sorry all of my receipts have now gone to my accountant so I'm unable to provide this. I have covered all costs and suppliers information on my last email"

Or he can say that he's not allowed to divulge each suppliers individual price to anyone not in the trade.

I know on some hairdressing websites until you have an account with them where they have seen certificates or had a tax number you're not allowed to see prices

Thats great thanks for the replies. :)

Unless they gave a valid reason it really seems odd.

At best I would provide breakdown of the cost of items to the client...not his trade prices. That is not information they require surely?

How odd. Sounds like a right faff!

Hey, i actually work in the building trade dealing with payments, contracts and costing (QS by trade!). I just support my fiance with the business side of the salon.

Anyone that asks that AFTER the job can jog on. Its irrelivant as the contractor can build up the quote how he likes. The client then chooses to accept the quote or not! I would ask for a breakdown BEFORE i accepted the quote.

If I was your other half I'd say pay up, and be off to court if they didnt!

Charisma (or Mr Charisma) - the client has paid already (thank goodness for the OP!)

Hey, i actually work in the building trade dealing with payments, contracts and costing (QS by trade!). I just support my fiance with the business side of the salon.

Anyone that asks that AFTER the job can jog on. Its irrelivant as the contractor can build up the quote how he likes. The client then chooses to accept the quote or not! I would ask for a breakdown BEFORE i accepted the quote.

My husband is a commercial manager/QS on jobs that run into the millions. Hospitals, schools, utilities etc. Every penny has to be accounted for. He is the same when we get work done on our house. Maybe not so finicky but for example would want a breakdown of materials and labour. But to be honest he would source the materials himself and ask for a labour cost per job. For example, how much to paint the hall/stairs and landing? Not a day rate, that's dangerous. Some workmen can take 5 weeks to paint a front door if they're on a day rate.

He tried it with me a few months ago. Wanted me to account for every penny I spent on a spreadsheet. I told him to stick it.

agree.... jog on....maybe if the client had asked before then yes.. But not after.. And even then it would only be a split labour and materials .... Not to down to where it was from.

Id reply.... I can provide a breakdown but it will cost x amount but i wont be able to provide a detailed breakdown as requested as all reciepts are being processed and archived with our accountant...

pfft sending spreadsheet lol!

(my 2nd hat is in a heating an vent company, mainly dealing with clients odd requests lol)

Agreed. My husband is also in the trade,self employed and he usually sends a breakdown with the quote,just to explain it abit easier. But this only includes materials and labour,they have no business seeing receipts as the materials are property of the tradesman until bill is paid in full.
Also, builders providers would not be happy to have their trade discounts disclosed to the public.
I would tell them,that although you understand they want to know exactly where their money is being spent,they can be rest assured that the quote they were given is highly competitive,and they got great value for money!
Some people have a ruddy cheek!

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

I would provide a breakdown of materials and labour on your own headed paper and not on a spread sheet! What a cheek!

I wouldn't list the prices for the materials individually and definitely at cost price. And there's absolutely no need for them to know where they were bought from.

Have the people paid? Or is this what they want before they get paid?

Jemima :)

Yes the customers have already paid and are really pleased with the work :)
The quotes always have a list of proposed works, materials to be used, labour costs & any machinery/skip hire if necessary for the job. Also on every quote it does say somthing like, if you wish to discuss any details regarding this quotation please contact us. Thanks for replies, it has been playing on my mind. :thumbup:

My partner is a heating engineer and if someone asks for a more detailed receipt then he puts the cost of materials and labour but not in much more detail than that! Who has time to list how much per brick hey!

Yes the customers have already paid and are really pleased with the work :)
The quotes always have a list of proposed works, materials to be used, labour costs & any machinery/skip hire if necessary for the job. Also on every quote it does say somthing like, if you wish to discuss any details regarding this quotation please contact us. Thanks for replies, it has been playing on my mind. :thumbup:

I would suggest to him to contact them and say that as it is an unusual request can they clarify why they have requested it.
I would imagine there is the possibility that they feel labour costs or material costs were exaggerated? I have had lots of building work done over the last 2 years and have never requested such a breakdown, I am aware of approximate material costs as we have several friends that are contractors or own companies for plumbing and building trade supplies.

Latest posts

Back