Cuticle drag?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilymayc

Reaction score
I'm after some advice on painting nails with regular nail polish, I'm more than happy with gels but when using regular polish I often get cuticle drag (not sure on the technical term) and I find it so frustrating!! I'm currently in the process of doing up my first treatment room within a hair dressers and being a perfectionist this is really making me worry. I use OPI nail lacquer but experience it with other polishes, I apply a thin layer first after my base coat and the polish is touch dry before my second coat yet the second layer will always drag the bottom coat away on at least a few of the nails leaving it patchy and bald near the cuticle!! Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.. Other than not leaving it long enough to dry. I'm getting lots of people in to practice on as its what bothers me the most, and leaving longer in between coats but I don't feel I can just leave my clients sat waiting for the polish to dry even more when it's already touch dry...

Thank you in advance for any tips!!

Try using a lighter touch with your brush. Literally float it over the nail allowing the colour to sit well but without the bristles dragging. This way you don't need to wait for each coat to dry before moving onto the next.

Also don't apply the base coat too thickly.

And use enough polish so you're not dragging a dry brush on the previous layer.

Are you doing the 'bounce' - load your brush, place it about 1/3 of the nail length away from the cuticle and push up towards the cuticle before performing the downward stroke? This will put enough product in Zone 3 to prevent dragging the semi dry coats back off. Also needs to be done using Pure's floating technique

Good advice given above . There are some pale colours that do this too so don't be afraid to do 3 thin coats of colour to get the even coverage.

Perfect base application will give you a perfect guide for the colour coats. I never allow drying time in between coats but I always float enough polish so it doesn't drag. Good advice already given above. OPI is my favorite lacquer.

Latest posts

Back