Cuticle/eponychium?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffyxoxo

Sue
Reaction score
Hello, I wondered if anyone could take a look at this pic..please ignore the polish, I hadn’t finished applying. I had completed usual prep which included pushing back the eponychium whilst removing cuticle from the nail plate. My question is...would you have used nippers and removed the excess eponychium? It sort of did get in the way a bit, but I am extremely wary about cutting this skin...worried about letting in infection. I’d be very grateful to hear a few views on how you would have dealt with this.

Attachments

• E0A478A2-F87F-4B42-BED8-EEF5F8445AEE.jpeg
    E0A478A2-F87F-4B42-BED8-EEF5F8445AEE.jpeg
    660.5 KB · Views: 167
Personally I use the nippers on the majority of my clients, I would have taken off the white bit that is loose from the nail plate to tidy it up! It is one of those things that the more you do it the more confident you will be

Yes I would do it. take yr time. But if u were really not confident them just push them back

Some peoples' eponychuim tends to be pretty thick and stretches farther down. If its like that and you push it back, its going to look like a chunk of lifted dead skin just like in the picture. You don't want to push the actual eponychium. You just want to push the cuticles off up to the eponychium.

Sometimes you have to use a nipper because some peoples cuticles just wont come off. And then theres eponychiums that are in bad shape from heavy hand usage. So you have to discern.

Now, if you had cut that skin in the picture, you would've left that client open to an infection. Just pushing it back left her open to infection because germs could get underneath that seal. Usually by the second manicure, everything will be easier to clean without having to cut any skin.
e225-fingernails-720.jpg

That flap of skin is skin.
mh_photo_of_pale_fingernails.jpg

Here you can see the cuticles grow out in a line. Sometimes you have to cut it with a nipper because it won't come off with a pusher.

Last edited:
Ok, I’m beginning to get my head around it! I have a repeat client today so I’ll see how hers are looking. Thanks very much guys, appreciate it xx

Hello, I wondered if anyone could take a look at this pic..please ignore the polish, I hadn’t finished applying. I had completed usual prep which included pushing back the eponychium whilst removing cuticle from the nail plate. My question is...would you have used nippers and removed the excess eponychium? It sort of did get in the way a bit, but I am extremely wary about cutting this skin...worried about letting in infection. I’d be very grateful to hear a few views on how you would have dealt with this.

Yes I would have nipped the excess cuticle as it’s dead skin. Eponychium is living tissue and from what I can see in the picture that is cuticle not eponychium.

I did a before and after if mine for you, excuse the rough nails just taken my gel off

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

Yes I would have nipped the excess cuticle as it’s dead skin. Eponychium is living tissue and from what I can see in the picture that is cuticle not eponychium.
Ah ok. Thank you x

uhhh no. Ops pic is eponychium, not cuticle. Btw, the cuticle is the most misunderstood thing in our ENTIRE industry.

Latest posts

Back