Cuts on thick hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lea2721

Reaction score
what kind of cuts can help thick dense hair appear slightly thinner? x

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

Is it curly, wavy or straight?

How much time does the client have to spend on their hair in the morning?

depending on texture of hair , i do undercuts on graduated bobs , i chip in , channel , i weave out hair and slice across. i also use texturising scissors, but dont use these on curly or frizzy hair HTH :) xx

Is it curly, wavy or straight?

How much time does the client have to spend on their hair in the morning?

im just asking in general but four of my friends have extremly dense and thick hair 1 is curl rest are straight and enough time to straighten it
so what are the best techniques to make it appear thinner and best styles suited to dense hair and also whats best to avoid?
i kmow a blunt straight cut is one obv x

im just asking in general as four of my friends have extremly dense and thick hair 1 is curl rest are straight and enough time to straighten it x

Natural inversion layers are a great way of getting rid of bulk. Club cut the curls and shape with a razor if she wants to enhance the curl. The straight hair can be point cut and thinned afterwards. Using a heavy moisturising shampoo and conditioner such as Redken All Soft or Aveda Smooth Infusion as home care will solve the rest of the problems.

Natural inversion layers are a great way of getting rid of bulk. Club cut the curls and shape with a razor if she wants to enhance the curl. The straight hair can be point cut and thinned afterwards. Using a heavy moisturising shampoo and conditioner such as Redken All Soft or Aveda Smooth Infusion as home care will solve the rest of the problems.

thankyou but i do point cut and use thinning scissors on the straught hair but still does not appear thinner lol its soo annoying but one of them wants to go shorter as well x

i watched a technique on scissorboy.com called shimmering. basically you take twisted sections of hair and lightly run the clippers down it before removing a bit of the length. it creates layers and reduces weight without having definite layer lines if that makes sense. check it out under the clipper cut section of videos x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

thankyou but i do point cut and use thinning scissors on the straught hair but still does not appear thinner lol its soo annoying but one of them wants to go shorter as well x

Sometimes the more you thin out thick unruly hair the bigger it gets. Clever layering and avoiding falling in to the over thinning trap is the key as often this sort of hair needs weight. Try channel cutting, especially around the back of the ears where hair tends to gather. I actually avoid thinning scissors as I tgink they ban be a bit lazy ;)

I have a client with the thickest (straight)hair I've ever seen! I cut it shoulder length, leaving it slightly longer each side at an angle, point cut some long layers. For the thinning out, I blow dry then take small sections straighten and thin out each section as I go. She says this is the only method that has ever worked on her hair and made it noticeable thinner (but be sure not to thin out the parting section of the hair, so to keep it looking sleek) hope this helps x

I have a client with the thickest (straight)hair I've ever seen! I cut it shoulder length, leaving it slightly longer each side at an angle, point cut some long layers. For the thinning out, I blow dry then take small sections straighten and thin out each section as I go. She says this is the only method that has ever worked on her hair and made it noticeable thinner (but be sure not to thin out the parting section of the hair, so to keep it looking sleek) hope this helps x

thankyou i might try that next timd x

I usually dont have a problem with cutting thick hair, except for on my cousin who's hair is not only thick, but a bit wavy and really really frizzy, also quite coarse. Its the kind of hair that when its dry, all these smaller pieces frizz up so the only way to get it completely smooth is really careful blowdrying then straightening. Also doesnt help that she doesnt look after it at all. If she doesn't style it it goes into a triangle shape.. any tips on what i could do to try and give it some kind of shape? I layer it and slice into it but avoid thinning scissors as it just makes it look ratty.

Sometimes the more you thin out thick unruly hair the bigger it gets. Clever layering and avoiding falling in to the over thinning trap is the key as often this sort of hair needs weight. Try channel cutting, especially around the back of the ears where hair tends to gather. I actually avoid thinning scissors as I tgink they ban be a bit lazy ;)

I have incredibly thick hair and I just hate it when people get so scissor happy on me. I need the weight to hold it down. and if anyone comes near me with a pair of thinning scissors I scream and run a mile. and I don't run for anything lol. Thinning scissors ruin the texture of my hair. In my opinion for a good cut on thick hair is nice fluent layering and pin pointing to help soften it all up.

hiya i have a new client coming with very thick wavy hair, at the moment it is a shoulder length one length - any tips on how to thin/shape it without making it curly - as it seems to be the weight of the hair that is keeping it wavy ?

I have extremely thick hair that is quite coarse and naturally curly ... if you use thinning scissors on my hair it seems even thicker because it needs the weight to help keep it sleek.

I have my hair layered using small pie sliced sections through the top - with the layers falling between my chin and shoulders but I only have them scattered through the top just to add a bit of texture and depth so that it doesn't all fall in a straight line but there's still enough weight to stop it fluffing up. This way - you can see some layers and take some weight out of the ends - but you're not causing a really 'full' layer .... Then I use curl defining mousse when drying etc. and use a sleek serum after it's dry just to help separate curls and tame any fly aways.

some people will call me mad but the only time i use thinning scissors is on thin hair, strategic thinning out of thin hair gives it a georgous finish. one of my clients doesnt do anything to her hair other then box dye it red every 4 weeks and wash it nearly every day (she must think i love nagging), anyway, she has mega fine hair and she says the only time her hair has ever looked good is when i start thinning her hair out!

As for thick hair, i usually stick to long layers and not many of them to keep the weight but lose the bulk at the ends:cool:

Do a disconnection. Disconnect the bottom area allowing the top to fall over.

It's the only true way to remove weight totally from an area.

Just putting layers in and thinning I personally don't think it can grow out too well, it gets bulky very quickly.

Sam villa did a video on this

My hair is naturally really wavy/curly and fine but loads of it! Mine definitely likes more weight left in than not. As others have said it weighs it down a bit.
If it's sliced out too much it resembles a bad 80's perm :-o
I did once have an asymmetric bob which was undercut on one side ( think it was in a c curvature section) to make it sit flatter.

Latest posts

Back