Damaged nails under acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetie_pie

Reaction score
While removing a clients acrylic nails with acetone and foil I noticed as I got towards the end she had a top layer of nail plate peeling away from her nails, it looked like damage especially on one of her ring fingers, like she had caught the acrylic nail and it had pulled away from her own nail taking some with it. It was like this on a couple of others but not as bad. She said she "lost" 3 nails on her left hand yesterday doing the gardening but there was a lot of damage for something that would have popped off easily as she said it had. Has she done something to her nails or did I cause the damage under her acrylics? I only used a orange wood stick to removed soften acrylic so couldn't have scratched it by mistake X

You removed her nails properly. You didnt cause the damage to her nails. Natural nails can become damaged under acrylics if the client jams or hits her nail on something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you, I didn't think I had done anything wrong and this is the first time I had come across this. I said it looks as though you've damaged your nails and she was adamant she hadn't but to be honest I don't quite believe her other 3 nails had popped off when her others had barely any lifting, I'm wondering if she's maybe been attempting to remove them at home. I only did a polish on her natural nails rather then replace the acrylics so I think this may be the last I see of her x

As a nail tech our first concern is of the client's natural nails. If she has a problem with that then I hate to say it but its best if she didn't come back. You did the right thing! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with the above comment. You correctly removed the nails so your couldn't have caused the damage. Although, of course it is well known that constant wearing of acrylics weakens the nails. I am (occasionally) guilty of picking my acrylics off (slapped wrist) mainly when I am stressed or anxious and haven't even realised I've done it!

Latest posts

Back