Decisions about what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshirejay

Reaction score
Hi all, new to site and first post so please bear with me if I ramble ....anyway I'm looking for advice from hair pro's as hair isn't my area. I currently have a full head of highlights which I'm happy with and often get compliments on the colour. I only ever get my hair done at a salon and I'm passionate about home after care so my hair is in pretty good shape.
My current salon doesn't offer Olaplex (small town) but another local salon does, and so I recently went for a stand alone treatment which was great. The stylist who blow dried my hair there, had a beautiful colour, I'd describe it best as an icy blonde highlight with a darker kind of cool blonde at the root and through the hair (apologies for the non tech terms). The stylist said this would be more than achievable on my own hair however a toner alone would not do this as she described the hair as being a little too 'warm' so she would do a full head highlight first (using olaplex) and then tone with the icy colour and add the darker shade round it (she decribed it very professionally !).
The following week I went to my regular stylist and asked could we try to get from my current warm golden blonde tones to something more baby blonde/silvery and my stylist suggested bleach highlights combined with highlights using wella illumina - now I'm not questioning either stylist, I literally know nothing and I appreciate none of you can see or feel my hair, but I'm stuck between the two !

Don't worry about not knowing the technical terms. It's really not important.

Did you show your current stylist pictures of the hair style & colour you want rather than just trying to describe it? Baby blonde is a fairly meaningless term because if you asked 3 hairdressers to choose a colour swatch they think is baby blonde, they'd probably all choose something slightly different. I had a client talk about ice cream blonde and I had to get some colour swatches to work out exactly she actually wanted.
Pictures of colours and styles are so much more helpful to ensuring you're talking about the same look.

Also, Olaplex isn't exclusive to specific salons so your own hairdresser could use her trade qualifications to purchase it from one of their U.K. distributors. She may not realise that you want to use it so definitely ask her next time. However, if she's not really interested in trying to achieve what you want, then give the other salon a try.

Don't worry about not knowing the technical terms. It's really not important.

Did you show your current stylist pictures of the hair style & colour you want rather than just trying to describe it? Baby blonde is a fairly meaningless term because if you asked 3 hairdressers to choose a colour swatch they think is baby blonde, they'd probably all choose something slightly different. I had a client talk about ice cream blonde and I had to get some colour swatches to work out exactly she actually wanted.
Pictures of colours and styles are so much more helpful to ensuring you're talking about the same look.

Also, Olaplex isn't exclusive to specific salons so your own hairdresser could use her trade qualifications to purchase it from one of their U.K. distributors. She may not realise that you want to use it so definitely ask her next time. However, if she's not really interested in trying to achieve what you want, then give the other salon a try.

Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely take a picture to my current stylist and also mention olaplex to her. I'm sure it's just a case of how I'm describing what I want more than reluctance on her part to attempt it, it just threw me a bit when the other stylist seemed so confident we could achieve her gorgeous colour on myself and using olaplex to guard against damage was tempting ! but I will definitely give my current stylist the opportunity to give me her take on it first as I am more than happy with everything she's ever done to my hair so far xxx

Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely take a picture to my current stylist and also mention olaplex to her. I'm sure it's just a case of how I'm describing what I want more than reluctance on her part to attempt it, it just threw me a bit when the other stylist seemed so confident we could achieve her gorgeous colour on myself and using olaplex to guard against damage was tempting ! but I will definitely give my current stylist the opportunity to give me her take on it first as I am more than happy with everything she's ever done to my hair so far xxx

Well, the other stylist has the benefit of trying to recreate her own look so she knows exactly what she used to get it. Oh and Illumina is a great colour product that produces a natural translucent type of colour that looks expensive.

Latest posts

Back