Dentist whitening teeth anyone tried it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise88

Reaction score
Hi geeks. I am booked in next week to get my teeth whitening at the dentist its £529 including a 2 weeks home kit and him lifting them afew more shades in the office. But it sounds like I'm paying 500 pounds just for a teeth whitening home kit that u can but from eBay for £10. Has anyone tried the dentist teeth whitening or home kits? If so did they work?

Hi geeks. I am booked in next week to get my teeth whitening at the dentist its £529 including a 2 weeks home kit and him lifting them afew more shades in the office. But it sounds like I'm paying 500 pounds just for a teeth whitening home kit that u can but from eBay for £10. Has anyone tried the dentist teeth whitening or home kits? If so did they work?

I had a home kit from the dentist, wasn't quite as expensive as this so I'm guessing I didn't have the in office lifting that your getting aswell. Mine definitely worked and because the shields are moulded to my teeth (unlike eBay jobbies) so I can top up whenever usually once a year just to clean them up. I wouldn't put anything on my teeth/in my mouth that wasn't from a professional. But iv never regretted it! X

I believe the people who sell them that aren't qualified dentists - IE on eBay - contains different chemicals that aren't as effective. As far as I'm aware anyway don't hold me to it!

I believe the people who sell them that aren't qualified dentists - IE on eBay - contains different chemicals that aren't as effective. As far as I'm aware anyway don't hold me to it!

I agree, a few of my dentist clients have told me it's illegal for anyone but a dentist to do it

You would have to go for a dental nurse or dentist. Whitening teeth is illegal for any beautician to carry it out. There are 'accredited' courses and they can obtain insurances but it's still illegal - I don't know how they do it. There's more info on the dental governing body website and I'm sure SG posted a news article not so long back too. Xx

I did this with my dentist once. He said that that stuff he uses Is stronger then the one you can buy on the street/internet

Sounds very expensive to me! I have a fully qualified dentist who is also a client. She offers Wy10 whitening and comes to my room to see my clients. She checks their teeth are suitable and then takes impressions and sends off for trays which come back a week later. She then sees them again and shows them how to use the kit. You use it for 2 weeks for 45mins per day and it's brilliant. We charge £199 for that. I've been using it for nearly 2 weeks and my teeth are so much whiter. I'll be getting a before and after photo on Thursday night, can't wait to use it for advertising.

Sounds very expensive to me! I have a fully qualified dentist who is also a client. She offers Wy10 whitening and comes to my room to see my clients. She checks their teeth are suitable and then takes impressions and sends off for trays which come back a week later. She then sees them again and shows them how to use the kit. You use it for 2 weeks for 45mins per day and it's brilliant. We charge £199 for that. I've been using it for nearly 2 weeks and my teeth are so much whiter. I'll be getting a before and after photo on Thursday night, can't wait to use it for advertising.
WY10: Results

It does sound like a lot of money.
My dad had his teeth whitened and then the dentist told him where he could buy his at home treatments and he's done that ever since. They look amazing.
I've bought it too. You just need your own tooth trays think I got mine from boots-you just melt them in boiled water then mould to your teeth.
The tooth whitening I use is called ACP and either use daywhite or nightwhite. Day White is used for about an hour every two weeks. Night White is used as you sleep then take out in the morning. Mine are 38% you can get them off eBay just make sure the seller has 100% feedback etc. I have got mine from a seller in America. Be careful with percentages as for eg. I'm ok with 38% but my bf reacted as he's on medication and is very sensitive with his skin etc it was burning his gums. He had to use the 12%. I think a tray of 3 or 4 syringes is £30. They last ages. Anyway this is just my experience & what I do,obviously you can make your own choices.xx

I paid £500 about 5 years ago to have my teeth whitened by my private dentist, although it wasn't really as common back then, nothing different than the moulded trays etc. This is just yet another service that has been saturated and prices reduced and destroyed. Give it another year or two Botox and non surgical face lifts will be available for £20 wait and see! The companies that sell these high end products are making it too easy for everyone to go and buy the equipment and machines...... Sorry I'm moaning.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I paid 250 for my dentist to make the home kit incl 4 syringes of whitening solution about 4 years ago. My teeth are due a top up but the results have really lasted such a long time! 200-300 is standard dentist prices round my way xx

I used to get 16% bleach from a friend who is a dentist, she used to charge me £15 for a syringe that lasts around 7 times and you notice a massive difference... for your trays I'll let u all into a little secret lol, rapid white have a kit for sale in boots for about £8.50 with mould your own trays in that are absolutely perfect👌

i am a dental nurse i had my teeth done over 10 years ago i had an hour power bleaching in the chair then trays to use at home as and when needed, ive only used them once or twice (made my teeth to sensitive) my teeth are still very very white, it does help when u dont smoke, drink coffee or red wine x

Know in my local area, a couple of the private hospitals/cosmetic clinics are doing a promotion on teeth whitening. Can't remember the exact price but definitely a lot cheaper than that! Might be worth looking into?

Helen x

You would have to go for a dental nurse or dentist. Whitening teeth is illegal for any beautician to carry it out. There are 'accredited' courses and they can obtain insurances but it's still illegal - I don't know how they do it. There's more info on the dental governing body website and I'm sure SG posted a news article not so long back too. Xx

Dental nurses are not allowed to do teeth whitening treatments, only dentists can do them.

yep, I'm a Dental Nurse and would be struck off by the GDC if I did whitening of any sort. At the surgery we provide custom fit trays with 16% Carbamide Peroxide for home use. Gives great results, I use it myself. We charge £280. x

So r dental nurses definetly not allowed under any circumstances to do teeth whitening in beauty salons? Someone near me is just starting up doing it. Wasn't sure if she was ok to do it or not tho x

Nicola! Xxx

Everything must be done under the prescription on a dentist. Nurses using a prescription are allowed, if trained, to take impressions to make the bleaching trays. This would have to take place with a dentist present in the building at the time. Same goes for dental therapists/hygienists using a prescription to perform bleaching.
This is taken from the GDC website x

Tooth whitening Q & As

What is the practice of dentistry?

The practice of dentistry is limited to GDC registrants. It is the Council’s view that applying materials and carrying out procedures designed to improve the aesthetic appearance of teeth amounts to the practice of dentistry. So too does the giving of clinical advice about such procedures. Therefore all tooth whitening procedures, including bleach and laser treatment, are seen as the practice of dentistry by the General Dental Council.

Which GDC registrants can undertake tooth whitening?

Until recently, it was the Council’s position that only dentists could undertake tooth whitening. At the Council meeting in June 2008, it was decided that in addition to dentists being able to carry out tooth whitening, dental hygienists and dental therapists, on the prescription of a dentist, can carry out tooth whitening as an additional skill.

It has also been decided that dental nurses can, as an additional skill, take impressions and make bleaching trays to a dentist’s prescription. Any registrant who undertakes work for which they are not sufficiently competent risks fitness to practise proceedings which may affect their registration.

Latest posts

Back