DHA % help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautygeek_11

Reaction score
there is sooo many brands of tan's let alone % of solutions and for me it gets quite confusing especially when the companies themselves can't explain it so im on here for some professional advice asap please.

the majority of my clients are very pale & freckly to begin , keeping that in mind what % would you choose for a med-dark look? what i have found is that higher % doesn't really give any more darkness when the skin is so pale to begin with. what is your thoughts?

I would go for 10% or 12% max

I would go for 10% or 12% max

thank you kelly, and for a natural look on these clients 8-10%? do you mind me asking what brand you use?

also what about people who have a base to begin with would you go as much as 14%?

thank you kelly, and for a natural look on these clients 8-10%? do you mind me asking what brand you use?
I use Laurens way they do 10%, 12%, 16% and a rapid tan, they have a new one sunkissed that's great too 0800 970 6577 call them

I use Laurens way they do 10%, 12%, 16% and a rapid tan, they have a new one sunkissed that's great too 0800 970 6577 call them

and what skin type does the 16% work best for? i have heard great things on here about lw

and what skin type does the 16% work best for? i have heard great things on here about lw
i would say people that want to be really dark and already have olive skin i only have a few clients that like this

Hi, personally I have found trying to go too dark on paler skin tones can lead to an overly fake tone.
Personally I use Suntana and I wouldn't go darker than 12% chocolate for a fair skinned client.
Its hard to begin with as there are so many brands out there with different qualities of ingredients which does impact the end result and affect the depth of the tan (not to mention the shade).

Its trial and error, getting to know your clients and their skin type.
One persons perception of dark may be another's nightmare ;)

I have a lot of pale freckly clients as well - I myself am quite pale. And I have fallen in love with Vita Liberata. It gives amazing natural color. And I've found most my clients who are so pale don't want to look unnaturally tanned or orange (my problem is I get an orange tinge with some higher dha %). I contacted them and they sent me free samples to try. And I get my spouse to spray tan me - he is not very good - but vita is one of the only brands that I never had orange hands or feet or streaks after he sprayed me.
The only thing I've found about Vita is it doesn't go dark enough for some.
There definitely are so many different brands and types of solutions. I have been looking for months trying out different stuff to find the 'perfect solution.'
Good luck in your search!

I'm very fair and freckly and have tried several on myself, Suntana cherry, LA Tan fast tan and 10%, LDN skins express and Tone 3, NSI trade tan 12%, Xen tan and Nouvatan. My fav so far is definitely LDN Skins but it isn't cheap but I love the colour on me and my clients do too. I get lots of compliments when I wear this not on my tan but just how well/healthy I look. I also loved LA Tan and Nouvatan. My clients liked Suntana but I felt it wasn't a natural colour on me as was the Trade tan.
I've still a few to try but I'm slowly working my way through the samples.
I hope you find a fav! x

You need to work out what your clients want (a natural golden looking tan, a browner looking tan, a darker tan or the orange fake tan look etc..) then decide what price point you want to be charging those clients so you can rule out the solutions that are out of your price range.
Once you know what your clients want & what price you want to be charging you will have a selection of brands to look at. Make sure to chose a brand that supplies EVERYTHING your range of clients will want, you don't want to be using too many different brands as it just confuses clients.

I chose my solution from a blind trial, I got people to have a free tan and then 2 weeks later return for another tan and fill out questionnaires for the tans. They didn't know what brand tan they were having but I kept a record and then could compare the questionnaire results. I only trialed brands that supplied light tans for my pale clients & myself, right through to darker tans because most of my clients seemed to want natural but brown looking tans with a few clients wanting darker tans. My top 2 solutions were Nouvatan & LA Tan, I cose LA Tan because it was a littlee cheaper and there was nothing else to tip the decision.

I am happy with my choice but have always said if there was a need to change solution then Nouvatan would be the first place I'd go & then look to see if any new brands have appeared (I do always try to keep an eye out and trial any new brands that could possibly provide the same range of solutions I need but with better results or price).

If I lived in a more affluent area I would have been able to look at some of the more expensive brands but I know people wouldn't pay a higher price where I live so I went for lower cost brands and am happy with my decision.

I stock LA FAST, 10%, 12% & Disco (none f the gold range).
For pale people I recommend LA FAST for 3/4 hours or LA 10%.
For pale people wanting more colour I'd say FAST for 5/6 hours or 12%
There are a few clients who love the LA Disco for a really dark tan, they know it won't fade of as well as a lower percent tan would but they love the look and are prepared to deal with the fade off.
I have a few clients who have FAST until they get a natural tan then they swap to the 12% because they love the colour of 12% but find the fade off better with FAST (when they have a natural tan they find the fade off of 12% is fine).

Latest posts

Back