Difficult to lift

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipxxx

Reaction score
I'm a natural level 7 but find it really difficult to lift my hair to palest yellow to tone silver Iv tried so many different bleaches and always use 6% fine sections and plenty of product but even after 60 mins it can still be quite yellow

Philip are you a natural red head? It sounds like you have a lot of Pheomelanin which is the sticky red/ yellow pigment in the hair. It is the hardest to remove. Make sure you are applying plenty of product and reapplying after 20 minutes if on scalp. And give the bleach an extra 5 to 10 minutes. Even though the lightener will have lost a lot of its power those ten minutes will make a difference. I have a client who's hair sounds just like yours. She rushed me the last time and her hair stayed quite gold - level 9 and usually I get it to a 10. And use a plastic cap!

I do have some natural warmth I was quite red as a child but now more brown with a slight reflect, I get nervous using a plastic cap , when I did my colour yesterday I left it on for an hour which normally lifts my hair I then rinsed shampooed and it was still yellow so reapplied on damp hair for 20 mins, I did put coconut oil on before I bleach which I think is why it didn't lift aswell but next time I'm not going to put anything on before and do what u said reapply after 20 mins

There you go. Coconut oil I've found keeps the gold in the hair as its a mild protein. Why don't you use it as an aftercare product instead?

I think I will , also how long would u recommend I go before I touch up the regrowth I'v got a bit of breakage so concerned about condition, I did it myself this time which is why I have some breakage due to overlap but I normally get it done at work

If you've got someone who's super careful at applying I'd go 4-5 weeks, if it's you or someone who's not so careful go longer, what bleach & % are u using? If breakage is an issue can you use silk lift next time?

I use wella blondor with 6% I'v tried to get hold of silk lift but can't get it and if I was to leave it longer would u apply away from the scalp to the demarcation line first then go to the scalp

I use wella blondor with 6% I'v tried to get hold of silk lift but can't get it and if I was to leave it longer would u apply away from the scalp to the demarcation line first then go to the scalp
Yes if left longer definatley, scalp bleach is a nightmare for banding if left too long between applications, ideally get someone really good to apply it for you when it's around a cm of new growth, blondor is quite kind I find but silk lift is very kind, I get good lift with blondor on scalp as low as a level 5 I can get to lemon yellow, I would also consider using a cap to keep the heat in

Have you tried the high lift blondes from majored they are super cool tones! If not then what about the new platinum? With diarichesse 9.02 to finish :)

One of the girls I work with is really good at full head bleach and understands what my hair needs so will get her to do it in the future with highlifts I'v tried wella's and Schwarzkopf's but only got to a warm 9 and I was looking at the loreal platinium I was thinking about giving it a try

I can't get much past a warm 9 on my own head, I tone it back till it's looking slightly purple and then within 2 washes I'm back 2 white

Is that with highlifts or bleach

I'm the same, have to use blondor and 6% for 60 minutes on my hair, if not its still a 9.

Lol I wouldn't ever bother with a highlift again 40vol for 50 mins to be orange... No ta lol

Lol I wouldn't ever bother with a highlift again 40vol for 50 mins to be orange... No ta lol
Kahuna I tried highlift on mine last time argh orange, so went back to my friend who always does 12% bleach but ten minutes done! But very fragile I wouldn't ever do it on a client so doing a test this weekend with 6% then wrap embee over the top then plastic bag and see.......

Kahuna I tried highlift on mine last time argh orange, so went back to my friend who always does 12% bleach but ten minutes done! But very fragile I wouldn't ever do it on a client so doing a test this weekend with 6% then wrap embee over the top then plastic bag and see.......
U have 40 vol & bleach on your scalp? Meant 40vol with highlift, I'd never use more than 20 vol on scalp, rather than wrapping up so much, just use a plastic cap, and add a little heat if the manufacturers inst allow it

U have 40 vol & bleach on your scalp? Meant 40vol with highlift, I'd never use more than 20 vol on scalp, rather than wrapping up so much, just use a plastic cap, and add a little heat if the manufacturers inst allow it
I know I know I've never used higher than 6% on scalp on client! but I got so sick of orange roots so my friend hairdresser and tutor of twenty years did it for me! hurts like hell but 10 mins it's done. But I'm still recovering from major heart surgery at the moment and can't face it and my hairs much more brittle anyway so going to give 6% a shot your way let you know how it goes ;)

I normally use Wella blondor loreal was on offer at warehouse so I tried this..
Oh my!! This bleach is amazing!!!! Lifts so clean!
I always found wellas was still too yellow even on someone who's base wasn't so dark. Xx

I normally use Wella blondor loreal was on offer at warehouse so I tried this..
Oh my!! This bleach is amazing!!!! Lifts so clean!
I always found wellas was still too yellow even on someone who's base wasn't so dark. Xx

I recently started using blondor as I'd heard so many good things about it on here. It mixes to a lovely consistency and would probably be nice on clients with naturally lighter hair but I've found it just doesn't lift nicely on my clients that are naturally base 6 or darker

Latest posts

Back