Dilute shampoo before selling?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joop

Reaction score
We'd like to sell shampoo from Options Ltd to our customers, but we'd like to keep the price of the shampoo really low.

Can we dilute the shampoo? As people often dilute shampoo from hair salons, because those shampoos are often regarded as too strong?

And if so, what dilution ration would you recommend? Shampoo : water 1:1? Or what is best?

And: can we expect problems with separation of the components? Should we advise customers to shake before use?

when you say "people often dilute shampoo from hair salons" who do you mean? The salon owners? I don't see the point, you just use less and it'll last longer if it's in a measured pump bottle.

I'd be furious if I bought shampoo from a salon and they'd watered it down to make more money.

I wouldn't recommend watering down any products at all. That's not what you're paying for.

I would also be furious if I bought watered down products! X

Pretty sure, watering down shampoo is against trading standards?

Second this, I was just thinking the same thing.
How would you feel if you bought watered down products,and im sure its agAinst the law.

It's pretty deceitful.. I would expect this sort of thing from someone running a market stall. But a professional that's shocking. Sorry

It's pretty deceitful.. I would expect this sort of thing from someone running a market stall. But a professional that's shocking. Sorry

I wouldn't even expect it then!

You can't be serious? So are you going to empty out half of the shampoo and fill it up with water? If i found out a salon had done this I would be boycotting the place and telling my local newspaper. Its just a deceitful thing to do.

How would you feel if you bought watered down products,and im sure its agAinst the law.
I was agreeing with the poster who said it was against trading standards......I agree it's shocking what the OP was suggesting, and something trading standards would undoubtedly take action against and rightfully so.

And I have never watered down shampoo before i use it, when i buy professional shampoo i do find i need to use less than a cheap one but I would never dilute it.

Seems a really dishonest practice to me. The idea of charging unknowing clients for a product that has been tampered which will affect the quality is so wrong. I'm quite shocked at this even being considered, never mind asking other professionals on their advice on this.

You can't be serious? So are you going to empty out half of the shampoo and fill it up with water? If i found out a salon had done this I would be boycotting the place and telling my local newspaper. Its just a deceitful thing to do.

Exactly! may aswel while he's there just fill it up and put basic value shampoo in and proper push the boat out

We'd like to sell shampoo from Options Ltd to our customers, but we'd like to keep the price of the shampoo really low.

Can we dilute the shampoo? As people often dilute shampoo from hair salons, because those shampoos are often regarded as too strong?

And if so, what dilution ration would you recommend? Shampoo : water 1:1? Or what is best?

And: can we expect problems with separation of the components? Should we advise customers to shake before use?

30+ years ago.....when working as a Saturday girl in the local salon, one of my jobs would be to 'decant' a bargain bucket setting lotion, into the empty 'Wella set' bottles...... LOL......I was party to fraud!:oops:

Many salons did this......MANY YEARS AGO....some salons even re-used foil and perm papers!
I'd like to think we've all moved on, but I suspect there are folk out there, using generic this that and the other, but passing it off as L'Oreal or Wella.:(
Those buying stock via the likes of ebay, are probably using a 'knock off'.......
Different times, different examples, but ultimately it's the same thing.

I'm astounded at your naivety! I'm not a hairdresser but I can tell you that watering down shampoo is Fraud.
Not only that though - your simple way of saving money could lead to contamination of the product because you don't understand GMP and also encourage the growth of micro organisms because you've changed the formula and unbalanced the preservation system.

Formulas that are sold to the public have gone through rigorous testing processes and are preserved accordingly, I'm sure Options wouldn't be thrilled nor Trading Standards either.

I think the OP is having you all for a reaction- a new member and is viewing now but hasn't commented back

I think the OP is having you all for a reaction- a new member and is viewing now but hasn't commented bac
Maybe they're too embarrassed to come back lol

Though I'd heard it all until now I'd be furious if my bought product was Watered down!! Unprofessional Cheapskate springs to mind lol

Clients might as well just buy supermarket shampoo if you're selling it like that.
The joy of having salon shampoo and conditioner is the ingredients in the bottle, if you water it down
you are only diluting the product and the consistency is more runnier that thicker.

Reactions: KHS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back