Disheartened with current situation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teeka3pn

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to give up on anything and never have but I am feeling very disheartened at the moment.
I've managed to get a table in a salon on a self-employed part time basis, (need to keep office job to pay for all my goodies at mo :)), and they advertise my nails at £20 and for models, (price set by the salon) and I have had a few nail biters/previously NSS/one off holiday clients but all mostly just one offs.
Before leaving the salon the owner inspects my work, (which I am completely fine with and happy to receive constructive criticism), however this criticism is being done in front of the client and feel that this is not really giving a good impression, (all the clients have been happy with their nails).
I am also worried that as there are already 4 experienced nail techs in the salon, with another just started I'm not really going to get the opportunity to prove myself.
I do fell lucky that I have managed to get this opportunity but does anybody have any suggestions what I can do to encourage people to give me a chance.

all suggestions gratefully received,:|

Ali xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everybody,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to give up on anything and never have but I am feeling very disheartened at the moment.
I've managed to get a table in a salon on a self-employed part time basis, (need to keep office job to pay for all my goodies at mo :)), and they advertise my nails at £20 and for models, (price set by the salon) and I have had a few nail biters/previously NSS/one off holiday clients but all mostly just one offs.
Before leaving the salon the owner inspects my work, (which I am completely fine with and happy to receive constructive criticism), however this criticism is being done in front of the client and feel that this is not really giving a good impression, (all the clients have been happy with their nails).
I am also worried that as there are already 4 experienced nail techs in the salon, with another just started I'm not really going to get the opportunity to prove myself.
I do fell lucky that I have managed to get this opportunity but does anybody have any suggestions what I can do to encourage people to give me a chance.

all suggestions gratefully received,:|

Ali xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If all the clients are happy with their nails done by you then I wouldn't worry about the salon owner causing your creidbility to be undermined.

When I trained my technicians in the salon the trainee worked right along side of me on willing clients and I offered critique (not criticism) right there on the spot and in front of clients who all knew the score. NEVER was anyone uncomfortable with this arrangement and most clients got a 'taste' of hands on from the trainee so that in fact, later on own the line, none of them was afraid to go to the trainee for repairs initially and eventually other services.

You are VERY lucky, as the way you are learning is a great way to learn with instant feedback (provided that feedback is done well and with sensitivity). I would take advantage of this arrangement and not be concerned about it. All my trainees were eventualy fully booked and loved bytheir clients as I'm sure you will be too.

Stop worrying, if the clients are happy with your work then they Will give you plenty of chances.

Thank you for the advice, it is very much appreciated.
:)

Ali xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My current employes are less experienced that me. I've been owrking for 5 year now, and they have started less that 1 year ago.
I try to book all the new clients for them as my schedual is almost fully booked right now. Even thow i know their work is not as good as mine i know it is part of the learning curve.
Even thow i do not give critiques of their work while they are with the client, they sometimes ask for it. And usually the clients are not put off by this.
I have great clients myself, some have been with me for ages, some had those not so nice nails i did in the early begining, and it seems like they are proud of what i acomplished and for being there to help me thru it.
It's quite nice to see, so don't worry if your nails are not perfect, use the critiques to improve, and take some faith in your clients, i bet some will still perfer you.

Latest posts

Back