DIY colour gels with pigments-wow!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n@iledit

Reaction score
I have just played with my mica pigments, ive had them ages but not bothered to trial and error them to get it right. I have just played around and had some great results and im amazed at how little pigment is needed (used probably 1/4 pigment with clear gel and a tiny amount of white gel NSI. as I'm frightened using to much pigment will compromise curing!

The results I've got has left me wondering why other techs don't seem to rate this method? I've got the perfect customized colour to wear with my outfit! :D

Any one got any reasons why this is a bad idea?
Or if you use this method tell me how it works for you!

P.s another good point is I've got 30+ colour gels with only a select amount being used. So had i done my own colours from the get go id have saved a million (ok ok a bit haha)

Kayleigh

Using pigments or other additives is usually okay as long you don't add more than 30% of it to your gel.

Hi nail edit. I've been doing the same with gel and acrylic powders. I love the colours you can create. Endless possibilities. Post some piccys if you can. X :)

Hi nail edit. I've been doing the same with gel and acrylic powders. I love the colours you can create. Endless possibilities. Post some piccys if you can. X :)

I'm presuming you're using acrylic powders with hard gel? Doesn't that make them rock solid?! X

Hi, im not sure I'd use acrylic powders "/ but and the pigment powders are surely cheaper than acrylic coloured powders?

I was just trying it out on nail tips but when I do my nails next im planning on trailing it for a few weeks so will upload a picture of those! X

I wasn't clear. I meant that I use micas and pigments with gel enhancements and use them with acrylic enhancements too. Not using gel and acrylic powder together :) just wanted to clarify.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

I use them with acrylic too so really cost effective =D have you been doing this long? X

Last edited:
I have a few mac pigments, I had a play the other day mixing with acrylic powder, but I wasn't sure on the ratio. With cnd additives mixed with acrylic powder I do 20:80 would it just be the same for my mac pigments? Xx

Usually 30% pigment but I must say I've never used that much I've not needed too as the colour is very strong with probs 1/4 pigment and im nervous about undercure so never used much pigment. Hth x

I'm currently in school to be a nail tech. I love the idea that you're talking about mixing your own hard gel colors (all we have at our school is white, pink, and clear). I am looking for ways to color that gel. The pigments you all are discussing.......where can I get some of those? What am I looking for, just anything that says it's a pigment?

Thanks for your help.

Mica powders cosmetic grade only, not the art one can be used, you can buy them from eBay, they are very similar to the CND additives.

Colour shack on eBay do them and loads of geeks get them from there,

I have allergies so I'm switching to Brisa gel and shellac. Using gloves I can use up my Gelish on clients. I was in such a state that I can't wear any of my 75 bottles of gel polish. I have to buy a CND lamp and Brisa so money is tight to buy Shellac at the moment. I have all the CND additives, a few mica powders and eye shadow pallets. I researched on CND.com how to mix additives in Brisa gel and Brisa Gloss. I only need to buy white Brisa paint to get more tints from the additives and my color choices are endless! As budget permits I can slowing add Shellac.

Watch the Brisa swirl video for great ideas.
Brisa Swirl | CND

I'm currently in school to be a nail tech. I love the idea that you're talking about mixing your own hard gel colors (all we have at our school is white, pink, and clear). I am looking for ways to color that gel. The pigments you all are discussing.......where can I get some of those? What am I looking for, just anything that says it's a pigment?

Thanks for your help.

Since you're in the States I recommend Coastal Scents for mica powder. Order the sample size, it's all you'll need. Only a buck each. Stay away from oxide powder, doesn't cure well. On my wish list is a neon eyeshadow pallet. Watch for sales, I got the 88 color one very reasonable. You can also burnish powder into a layer of gel polish/Shellac. Also CND have great additives. Great fingernailfixer video on this. HTH

Additives with Brisa gel. I'm not big on hand painting so be kind on my flowers. Next time will be better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 208

Latest posts

Back