DIY website

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobileChic

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

There may already be a thread for this but I can't find it on my phone.

Has anyone made their own website?
What site did you use? And
Is it easy for someone who is not a computer whizz?

Any advice welcome, I've been looking into wix.com. Thanks in advance x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I haven't done mine yet but there are LOADS of free website hosting sites now, just Google it, really straight forward and self explanatory, often prompting the different steps. Set aside some time to really sit and work on it if you're not confident, and remember to stick to your themes, colours and branding should all match any promotional material you already have! If you can figure this site out you'll do fine! There's thread on here called show us your website (might be in the biz part) some good ideas on there x

Vistaprint offers free website. They're ok for beginners. Once you need more comprehensive service - you need to pay.. But it's not expensive anyway (about £7 a month).
Also Google does free websites. I've used them too and they're ok.
You dont need any IT skills, it very simple.

I'm using weebly. It seems there are a lot of free sites but as soon as you want more than one page or your own domain name you will have to pay.

So am I right in thinking you have to use their domain name?

If you don't want to pay anything then yes you will need to use the domain they have e.g. .wix or .weebly which personally I think is more long winded so harder to remember and less professional

I have already brought a domain, just need to build my website.

I started my business doing websites on all kind of free platforms- and I regret the time I wasted, but that was couple years ago, so they could be better now.
Now I run all my websites and recommend it to my friends - getting your own domain, hosting, installing wordpress on it - you can be up and running within couple hours, there is loads of free 'themes' -the look and functionality-or you can buy a professional theme or order custom one.
The beauty of the system is that all the text you put on the site, photos, you can change yourself, what's more you can change how the site looks by changing theme, without losing any work you done already.
Wordpress is free to use, and in fact it is used successfully by very, very big companies and very small ones as well.

I used Wix.com very recently. Easy peasy. Take a look see what u think. The templates are easy to work with,
U can edit extremely easily whenever u need to, I paid to then buy & add my own domain name. Have a look www.perfectlypamperedhands.co.uk
I recommend it
Perfectly Pampered Hands

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm on wix.com now attempting to do my own site!
Just checked out perfectly pampered hands and it's so fab and professional!
I hope mine looks that nice!

Her website is really nice looking, and I like special packages as well. You can see straightaway she put a lot of effort into it.

One thing to remember is to use email that is the same as domain name, not the gmail or yahoo or hotmail.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm on wix.com now attempting to do my own site!
Just checked out perfectly pampered hands and it's so fab and professional!
I hope mine looks that nice!

Aw thank you very much thats made my day. It really wasnt difficult at all. Hope we can have a look at yours soon, it'll be fab too :D

Perfectly Pampered Hands

Her website is really nice looking, and I like special packages as well. You can see straightaway she put a lot of effort into it.

One thing to remember is to use email that is the same as domain name, not the gmail or yahoo or hotmail.

Good luck!

Thanks Marta glad everyone seems to like my website. Havent got round to sorting my emaol out its next on my long list of 'to dos' :) x

Perfectly Pampered Hands

Latest posts

Back