Do I go it alone or stay part of my family business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanzy85

Reaction score
I really need some good advice! I currently am employed by my mum as a beauty therapist in her hair salon. It was me who introduced the beauty to the salon, it was previously just a hair salon. My mother owns it and my sister also works there as a hairdresser. My problem at the moment is there is a lot of conflict between myself and my mother over what we spend out on beauty, and other issues. I can make £100 a day on a good week and I work 3 days for my mum who pays me approx £144 per week. She doesn't want to spend out on advertising and I understand she wants to be careful with money but I feel I have a lot of ambition to take the business forwards and I am being held back by her.

Any advice people? Do I go self employed so that I run the beauty alone and rent the space from her? Or am I better off on a reliable wage each week? Help!!!

I employ my daughter - we both do beauty. I would suggest the following. If you really believe that you can make a go of it self employed, then sit down with your mum and give her an out line of what you would like to do. I watch some of these business programmes (Alex Polizzi etc) and wonder how these mums can employ their kids when the business isn't making money. It sounds like your mums business is doing ok, but now you're there and it is making a dent - it's like starting a new business - it always costs so much more to kit it out than you would think. Talk to her about doing it yourself - not on the shop floor or between clients. Keep it business like, and show her you don't expect something for nothing. She may offer you the room rent free if you're doing it all yourself, and you can plan to pay her back for the investment she's already made. Best of luck x

Latest posts

Back