Do I have enough experience to start beauty mobile...help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyliex88

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick post to see if anyone can advise me. I completed my nvq level 2 in beauty in summer 2008 and have just started a '1 day a week' private fast track nvq level 3 course, i got made redundant from my office job about a month ago and although i have sent loads of CV's off to salons, i have had no replies...it just seems like no body is taking anyone on at the minute!! So i am considering starting mobile, i have thought about having some business cards made up, leaflets to put through doors and also placing a small ad in a local news letter. I would be able to offer people the choice of either coming to my house or i can travel to them. I have nearly all the equipment i need to offer waxing, eye treatments, manicures and pedicures. The only thing i am worried about and need advise on is the fact that since i completed my nvq level 2 course i have only done the odd beauty treatment on friends and family and i am worried i do not have the experience for mobile beauty until i have worked in a salon first.
Are there lots of people out there who have started mobile straight away?and how have you found it?
What sort of prices do you charge and do you let clients know you do not have much experience? Do you put this info in your advertisments? (as im worried this will put people off)

Any advise would be much appreciated.

I did my nail course and then once i felt confident enough went straight to mobile. About 10 months later i did spray tanning to add to it and after a few practices went straight to clients. I think as long as you are confident and professional in the treatments you do youn will be fine. I wouldnt tell anyone you dont have much experience but it will come across if you dont feel confident. Try practicing on your friends and family and then as soon as you feel ready go for it, good luck! xx

Hi there, i finished college in June and registered for self employment on the 1st August. I didnt tell people that i had just qualified, i just went to my client acted really confident and gave lots of advice and winged it, they never guessed and this is how my confidence grew. Practice and experience makes you a good therapist, if something goes wrong which is sometimes does, ie. i dont put enough oil on when waxing or put it on too thick, i always remember what advice i have received on here and rectify the problem without causing the client to be aware of it and next time it happens you know how to get out of the problem. I havent had any complaints yet and my business is really taking off now so i must be doing something right :) Good luck and get stuck in there. x

Hi Kylie...what a fab name you have LOL
I literally left college and went mobile straight away. I was confident in all of my treatments luckily so nothing was stopping me. I do find it hard work lugging the stuff about but it is such a good feeling to be your own boss!
If you can get into spray tanning, this is the best earner and so so popular. I have never looked back!
Good luck sweetie xxx

Latest posts

Back