Do I leave? Advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazbaby

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Feeling really disheartened.
I started a job as a Spa Therapist in a large hotel which has a large chain around the UK. This is my first job since being off for almost 6 years with my children.

I am 4 weeks in to the job and I am so disgusted with what I have seen.
There doesn't seem to be ANY standards of cleanliness or hygiene in the spa or the treatment rooms.
We use the same pair of mitts on the first client at 0930 as we do on the last client at 8pm, the same towels are used on the beauty couch for 1-2 days and are only changed if they look dirty, the floors in the treatment rooms have not been cleaned even once since I have been there, the jacuzzi is full of foam (which I am told is apparently sweat and product from the clients skin).
There are many other issues with cleanliness but apart from this issue, after 4 weeks I have still not recieved a contract, my hours are all over the place despite explaining numerous times that I need some form of continuity in hours/days for my children and their childcare.

I have spoken to my team leader and another person about my issues with the spa and they both told me to basically ignore it all and just do the job as 'it will look good on my CV to be part of this hotel'.

What do I do?
I have high standards, especially in regards to cleanliness.

Any advise much appreciated!
xx

I'd leave if your circumstances allow.

The Spa will get a bad reputation and you don't want to be associated with that. Can you set up on your own on a mobile basis?

I've worked for a large Hotel chain before....could you report your concerns to Head Office or the Leisure Manager at the very least? These things you mention aren't just an oversight or being a bit lazy, they're a health hazard especially not using clean towels on each client etc

They don't care about clients or staff if you still haven't had a contract. Do yourself a favour and get out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Lilypie, thankyou for your reply.

I tried to raise my concerns with the Spa and Leisure Manager but he told me speak to my Team leader. She responded by telling me to 'ignore it and quietly do my job as having this hotel on my CV will look good'.

I have considered going mobile but need to research how to start out. Are you mobile?

I think in business a lot of things can 'slide' but this sounds pretty grotesque.

I would be horrified if someone brought these concerns to my attention and worse if I didn't act on them.

I totally understand that there's only so much you can do, so I would start looking elsewhere.

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Im going to put my little spin on this.

First off that is dusgusting no matter the situation with regards to cleanliness. Second of all if your team leader and another manager who is not the spa manager saying leave it i would be questioning just how good and commited they are with their jobs.

Do you have a spa manager there? If not i would say report this to head office so that they can look into the situation. If they are happy with the spa as it is and or other spas of theirs are in the same situation then take it to the health and safety executive, they would love to hear about this. Remember you legally have a right to whistleblow and your company cannot touch you even if you dont have a contract.

Also chase up the contract with head office. I would give work a little longer and go down the routes i have said, this is something you can then mention on your cv and say how you have helped to turn the spa around for the better, if nothing changes then leave but to leave after such a short time would raise flags with me as a potential employer, i would rather you said you stayed to try and make changes that didnt work otherwise it does look like your whinging because things like hours dont suit you.

Good luck and hope things will get sorted asap for you.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Vic - Thankyou for your advise Vic. It is disgusting. To fit into this place I would need to lower my standards to theirs. That's not how I want to start out in my career. Start as you mean to go on! xx

Small and Cute - thankyou for your input. I have attempted to bring my concerns up with the Leisure and Spa Manager (who is responsible for me and my dept). He told me to bring up any concerns with my Team Leader, which I did. It was her who told me to 'ignore it and quietly do my job as having this hotel on my CV will look good'.

I have tried chasing up my contract but no-one seems too bothered!
The hours situation is important as at interview stage I made it crystal clear to the person interviewing me that I needed to know exactly what my hours/days would be and I was reassured that I would have set hours and days. This has not been the case since I have started. The rota is all over the place. If you have children, I'm sure you can understand that getting that childcare and work balance is difficult!
Speaking to Head office is an option though. Thank-you for taking the time out to reply xx

I agree with you and Vic, you need to do something. If you just leave it and get used to that way of working it could become a habit - not intentionally, it's just the routines we get used to.
Then when you change jobs it may cause a problem for you. Can you report to head office without them knowing it's you? Could you phone up and say you're a customer? Xxx

Hi Oasis, I have been told this morning that my Manager has been asked to leave and is working his months notice due to failing to raise the standards of the Spa. Apparently the turnover of Managers and staff is very high, which really does not surprise me!

I think I will work my weeks notice and find something better. I am proud of the standards I work to and will not lower them for anyone, 4 star hotel or not!
You are 100% right that I will become used to working this way unintentionally which will impact on my future in my career.
I will tell Head Office the actual reason I am leaving though.

Thankyou xxx

Hi Oasis, I have been told this morning that my Manager has been asked to leave and is working his months notice due to failing to raise the standards of the Spa. Apparently the turnover of Managers and staff is very high, which really does not surprise me!

I think I will work my weeks notice and find something better. I am proud of the standards I work to and will not lower them for anyone, 4 star hotel or not!
You are 100% right that I will become used to working this way unintentionally which will impact on my future in my career.
I will tell Head Office the actual reason I am leaving though.

Thankyou xxx

I'd stick around, it sounds like there'll be a spa manager job coming up soon. You can then run it the way you want to :)

KayaPapaya - Lol!! I love it! xx

Latest posts

Back