Do I owe anyone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steph31

Reaction score
The salon I have worked in for 7 years is coming to a close. Due to the owner losing interest and heart. I have single handedly tried to prevent this for 4 years. I run the offers, twitter, reception, bank cash and do the cleaning. There have been other staff that have come and gone. Over the years felt bullied, disrespected and mistreated by the owner and still I stayed. Overworked and underpaid. Im self employed and due to the lack of enthusiasm I have had to print posters etc to make sure I as well as the bills get paid. Even after the laundry service was cancelled due to arrears I took laundry home on two buses with no tumble dryer and did it. Ok I got a thanks but then a text saying salon takeover is going ahead. I have met the new owner and have been offered 2 days for now. I've shown interest in another local salon. Seems great, proper wage, holidays etc and meetings! God meetings with a boss to discuss things! (Never had that excuse the excitement) obviously I am not holding out any hope as my confidence and drive is knocked. Spent a week crying over what I will do and thinking of my clients, especially my lady who needs a massage weekly! Just all that goes through my head is what if I was offered another position. A colleague expressed how shocked he was at the lack of loyalty and compassion I was shown by the owner and said with my experience I'd easily get another job. But I can't help but feel do I owe this new owner? Do I stay for 2 days if I'm offered a better position? Purely because we have conversed and hes offered me a place "if I am good enough" My problem is basically thinking I am out of the game because I'm not a good nail painter, I dont offer lash extensions, I detest eyebrows but give me waxing, facials and massage all day! Things I get complimented on all the time! Sorry needed to rant. Disheartened!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Aww you sound like the perfect employee I'd love to have someone like you working for me. Bows the time to do what's best for you! The clients will follow you so if you like this new salon then go you don't owe no one nothing! Xx

Whatever you do op, do what you need to do to look after number one. I think you will find this both refreshing and liberating and you will thank yourself in the long run.

I don't think it's about who owes who but more about you needing to do what you think is right for you.

Thanks. I think you are both right! Arranging to meet the owner of the other salon :) x

The salon I have worked in for 7 years is coming to a close. Due to the owner losing interest and heart. I have single handedly tried to prevent this for 4 years. I run the offers, twitter, reception, bank cash and do the cleaning. There have been other staff that have come and gone. Over the years felt bullied, disrespected and mistreated by the owner and still I stayed. Overworked and underpaid. Im self employed and due to the lack of enthusiasm I have had to print posters etc to make sure I as well as the bills get paid. Even after the laundry service was cancelled due to arrears I took laundry home on two buses with no tumble dryer and did it. Ok I got a thanks but then a text saying salon takeover is going ahead. I have met the new owner and have been offered 2 days for now. I've shown interest in another local salon. Seems great, proper wage, holidays etc and meetings! God meetings with a boss to discuss things! (Never had that excuse the excitement) obviously I am not holding out any hope as my confidence and drive is knocked. Spent a week crying over what I will do and thinking of my clients, especially my lady who needs a massage weekly! Just all that goes through my head is what if I was offered another position. A colleague expressed how shocked he was at the lack of loyalty and compassion I was shown by the owner and said with my experience I'd easily get another job. But I can't help but feel do I owe this new owner? Do I stay for 2 days if I'm offered a better position? Purely because we have conversed and hes offered me a place "if I am good enough" My problem is basically thinking I am out of the game because I'm not a good nail painter, I dont offer lash extensions, I detest eyebrows but give me waxing, facials and massage all day! Things I get complimented on all the time! Sorry needed to rant. Disheartened!

You sound like a really good employee - love your dedication against all odds with the towels lol

However, think you need to get your confidence on track, stop thinking like an emotional woman and more like a hard headed get ahead man, now is a time to make good career decisions that will get you ahead secure you good pay and good working conditions with financial prospects.

It's great that you put customers first but now you must put yourself first and make decisions with your head not your heart

It sounds like the only person you owe is yourself - to get a good secure happy workplace

Latest posts

Back