Do you have to do refresher courses by law

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmasam123

Reaction score
I want to get back to beauty therapy as self employed. I qualified 8 years ago but that’s all I have done. I would like to know is there any law that will stop me I plan on doing a refresher course but it’s £160 per each treatment. Is there a law saying after a certain time I can’t do anything with my qualifications or can I pay for what I need refreshing in and just practice others like I think I’m good in make up and facial and massage. Can I just practice on friends and refresh on some areas?

You’re in the U.K., so there’s no national registration or minimum legal requirements, as such.

Firstly, you need to check with your insurance company that they are willing to provide cover without you having any recent experience following qualifying several years ago.

Are you planning to work from home? Depending on the treatments you are planning to offer, you might need a special treatment license from your local council.

There are other permissions you might need but these two bodies will usually set the strictest requirements and they will vary on an individual basis. So what applies to Miss X living in the next town, might not apply to you, so there’s no universal standard you can rely on.

You’re in the U.K., so there’s no national registration or minimum legal requirements, as such.

Firstly, you need to check with your insurance company that they are willing to provide cover without you having any recent experience following qualifying several years ago.

Are you planning to work from home? Depending on the treatments you are planning to offer, you might need a special treatment license from your local council.

There are other permissions you might need but these two bodies will usually set the strictest requirements and they will vary on an individual basis. So what applies to Miss X living in the next town, might not apply to you, so there’s no universal standard you can rely on.

I plan on doing it mobile. I will refresh on treatments to do with the eyes so I’m 100% sure. I’m going to be doing a nail course to. So as long as the insurance is ok I don’t have to refresh everything? I can’t find any information online and it’s really annoying even harder with lockdown

In the U.K., you don’t actually have to be qualified Or insured to offer beauty treatments BUT it makes sense to purchase Public Liability insurance in case a Client decides to sue you. Sadly, some clients threaten to sue, if they think there’s a chance of easy money. :(

In order to purchase insurance, they require you to be qualified. Some insurance companies will require an NVQ level 2 or equivalent qualification, whilst others might only require you to have completed a short course. You need to shop around to find the best cover to suit you.

Latest posts

Back