Does capping really help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalie92

Reaction score
I'm newly qualified in gel manicures and am working one day a week in the salon where I trained.

I actually wasn't taught to cap and that's something I've picked up from tutorials online and what I've seen on the forums here.

I've been practicing a lot on my mums nails and hers seem to chip within the first week each time. Is there anything that can prevent this? I'm using shellac base coat, colour x2 only capping the first time and then the shellac top coat.

Thanks!

I guess you mean capping the free edge, and yes it's a must. If you are using shellac consider a conversion course to be taught the proper application or watch their youtube videos.
You have to cap with base coat, 1 colour coat and top coat, but make sure it won't get too thick at the free edge or that could also lead to chipping.
Also, shellac is not meant for weak nails. Perhaps it doesn't suit your mum

Thank you for your reply! Yes I meant capping the free edge. Thank you I will have a look at their videos and look into a conversion course too.

Are there other brands that are better suited for someone with weak nails? Or would it be best for those customers to have hard gel? I am going to be training in that in the near future too.

Thank you Sara-Jane, that link was really helpful! :)

Just be careful when you cap that the product isn't left thicker in that area. I thought generally capping was aesthetic mainly as shellac can be filed gently too at the free edge x

Latest posts

Back