Does this sound right?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautG

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have been in the process of trying to set up a home salon.

It has taken ages for the council to actually respond but somebody from environmental health has been round & he seemed happy just advised me to check with the planning department about amount of clients per week.
After along phonecall I feel really annoyed, the lady I spoke to has said that the house will be classed as commercial use instead of residential so I need to apply for something (which could be declined) but if not will cost £385!

I do realise that some of you ladies have had a fee to pay but was that for a room such as a garage or an extension? As mine would be in a spare bedroom with at the most about 3 clients per week to start with & I have a drive. I am not changing the room or house layout whatsoever so I am confused as to why the planning department are telling me this.

Has anyone who set up a home salon in a spare bedroom had the same response??
I would really appreciate any feedback, thanks xx

My friend has a room in her home if it's not more than 10% of building it shudnt be classed as commercial so argue the case? If u change it to commercial it's a nightmare to ever change back so I would double check they understand it's just 1 room

Thanks for your reply! I thought it sounded a bit over the top. The lady I spoke to was not the most helpful, quite rude really. I think I ll send an email re iterating what I'm doing x

My advice. Don't make a rod for your own back.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It seems to be a lot more complex than I'd first imagined! The lady also said it was unusual to want to do beauty from home?! Really!!! X

Sounds odd to me. I'd suggest calling back and seeing if you can speak to someone different!

i was never told anything like that, but i was told im only allowed 2 cars visit me a day so i not causing a problem with traffic, most of my clients are from my village and walk to me anyway

Thanks ladies x

I've just recently given up working from home as a neighbour complained to the council about clients parking near his house. Although I had informed the council when I originally started working and they had already sent environmental health round they decided I need to get a certificate costing £190 to say I was working from home and that they would let me know if I needed planning permission and that would be over £400!! I decided I couldn't cope with the hassle and expense and now work in a salon.

Really pinkeedee! It does seem like a very complex process, I wasn't aware it would be such an issue. It's not like there'd be hundreds of people queuing & cars parked all over the place! X

I think each council has their own procedures for home businesses. But it sounds excessive to have to het planning permission.

Jemima :)

Really pinkeedee! It does seem like a very complex process, I wasn't aware it would be such an issue. It's not like there'd be hundreds of people queuing & cars parked all over the place! X
It all started so well, almost 3 years ago I rang the council to let them know I was working from home and they sent The Environmental Health out to check on my qualifications and MSDS etc, and they gave me a copy of the report to keep and that was that. I built up quite a good little client base and my business ticked along nicely. Then a few months ago a neighbour decided to be a grumpy old so and so and reported me to the council saying I had loads of clients parking all over the place!! I didn't have clients parking all over but the council still got involved and that's where the trouble started :(. Fortunately a local salon owner offered me a beauty room straight away and now business is booming so maybe the grumpy neighbour did me a favour :) x

I remember when we brought our house the solicitor ran through a few things in our deeds (I think it was) and he half jokingly said your not planning on running a business from home are you because it says you can't run a business from the property and couldn't add another storey to the property etc etc there was a list of things
Has anyone ever looked into this with their house deeds?
And what would happen if you did and it says you can't?

I remember when we brought our house the solicitor ran through a few things in our deeds (I think it was) and he half jokingly said your not planning on running a business from home are you because it says you can't run a business from the property and couldn't add another storey to the property etc etc there was a list of things
Has anyone ever looked into this with their house deeds?
And what would happen if you did and it says you can't?

You need permission from your mortgage provider. If they decline permission and you do it anyway and get caught. You will be repossessed as it's a breach of contract. It honestly does happen.

I did just google the title deeds also and it does apply to those, I wonder how many people check their title deeds?

In all the properties I've owned in over 20 years I've never once had a call, a visit or any other dealing (other than a yearly mortgage statement) from my mortgage providers. You are not launched out of your home unless you fail to pay your mortgage and this is not overnight it takes months and a court decides, mortgage companies try and help in the first instance. I have never witnessed anyone ever being removed from their home because they run a business from it. I'm not saying this has never happened but it would have to be extreme circumstances surely. A small one man business from a spare room isn't going to get you evicted. Most deeds advise you you cannot make any changes to your property. . Like extensions, conservatories without permission. .. Who does this? Very few people.

How would your mortgage company find out? No different to the council. .. Who tells them? Not every neighbour makes a complaint about parking. ... I live (at the moment) in a very large rented property through an agent .I have two rooms for my business. I have no authority to do this. I have agents come and look in the property quarterly. No one bats an eyelid. But I am naughty.

In all the properties I've owned in over 20 years I've never once had a call, a visit or any other dealing (other than a yearly mortgage statement) from my mortgage providers. You are not launched out of your home unless you fail to pay your mortgage and this is not overnight it takes months and a court decides, mortgage companies try and help in the first instance. I have never witnessed anyone ever being removed from their home because they run a business from it. I'm not saying this has never happened but it would have to be extreme circumstances surely. A small one man business from a spare room isn't going to get you evicted. Most deeds advise you you cannot make any changes to your property. . Like extensions, conservatories without permission. .. Who does this? Very few people.

How would your mortgage company find out? No different to the council. .. Who tells them? Not every neighbour makes a complaint about parking. ... I live (at the moment) in a very large rented property through an agent .I have two rooms for my business. I have no authority to do this. I have agents come and look in the property quarterly. No one bats an eyelid. But I am naughty.

Tbh this is normally the stance id take. Chances are slim to nil. My dad used to have an office in his house. Also like you say it's not like you get caught and turfed. More than likely a slap on the wrist and you'll have to come up with something else.

Thanks for everyone's replies, yes that is true, not every neighbour would complain. After doing a lot of research beforehand I'd genuinely thought, as it will be on such a small scale that it seemed relatively simple but feel a bit disheartened now. The guy from environmental health was really nice too even saying that this other department would be pleased to hear about it as they are all for small businesses! Yeah right!! All about the pound signs!! X

Thanks for everyone's replies, yes that is true, not every neighbour would complain. After doing a lot of research beforehand I'd genuinely thought, as it will be on such a small scale that it seemed relatively simple but feel a bit disheartened now. The guy from environmental health was really nice too even saying that this other department would be pleased to hear about it as they are all for small businesses! Yeah right!! All about the pound signs!! X

Personally I don't think it's always necessary to attract attention to yourself, it's not as if you're setting up a petrol station outside your house or a big industrial unit with twenty staff. Worst case, an extra car. .. Not 20 cars... I'm all for insurance, health and safety, HMRC contributions and accounts etc. .. but other things like this I probably won't hold at the top of my priority list... rented accommodation or not. I've never experienced any problems whatsoever... and for the rent we pay I wouldn't expect to.

Oft...don't get me started on councils...our local petrol station had someone doing beauty in the back room!

Latest posts

Back