Dream Age

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natm

Reaction score
I'm confused I thought matrix had two extra coverage range? What's the reflective range? It wasn't colour sync extra coverage?

Hi there , We do :)
Firstly we have the 5 0 series which is your typical block coverage or then we have dream age which is a multi tonal reflective grey coverage.dream age is a more modern natural coverage :)

Both cover 100% :)

In Matrix, "reflect" basically means "has tone". e.g. level 6 with copper gold 'reflects more light' than a level 6 ash.

As MatrixRep said, they have the 50 series for blanket coverage and the dream.age range for "mix and apply". They also have the "extra coverage" range in ColorSync, but I personally think this is a waste of time stocking (sorry MatrixRep).

The 50 series is very easy to understand.

If 3N in Matrix did not cover grey enough, try moving to 503N.

If 5G in Matrix did not cover grey enough, try moving to 505G.

Basically, if the hair is more than 50% grey, you might want to consider using their 50 range as either your colour or the base you mix the colour with. e.g. 508N with developer for a flat level 8 colour, 508N with 8V for a slightly violety tone, 505G for a flat level 5 gold colour or 505G with 5R for a slightly reddy tone.

This is how grey coverage worked with Matrix for a long time.

But then about 2 years ago they launched Dream.Age.

Dream.Age lets you choose a colour and apply it straight to the hair without mixing any base colour and it covers the grey for you. It is only for use on grey hair as it doesn't lift more than 2 shades. It would give a very flat result if you used it on normal hair too.

L'Oreal (who own Matrix) tried this with their other lines, including Majirel and Inoa, but found it simply didn't work. Both Majirel and Inoa Supreme have since been abandoned as brands for the simple reason that any hairdresser with experience of colouring can work out whether they need a gold or neutral base to cover grey and what to mix it with.

Dream.Age works. There is no denying that. So did Majirel Supreme. But what you need to ask yourself is the following: Why stock Dream age 5M when you can get the exact same result using 505G and 5M in So.Colour beauty? It also leaves you with a 5M you can use on any client, and a 505G you can mix with other shades.

Dream.Age is the equivalent of a supermarket ready meal. Essential for those who cannot cook but intriguing at best for those who can. ;)

Forget the Dream.Age for a little while and invest instead in Color.Graphics which is much more innovative and creative. :)

Can I just ask why you complicated it all more? I have a vague idea on how matrix works from using it years back. Dream age is new to me too (last used matrix 6years ago) and a simplified way would be easyer,

Basically it's another range using the core method of mixing base and tone, without having to go all the way around the block to achieve the same results as someone with <50% would get with just the 1 tube x

Tomme lol yes simply is good, sometimes people like me need to know what and how it does it though ;) it's a colour geek thing! x

Tomme lol yes simply is good, sometimes people like me need to know what and how it does it though ;) it's a colour geek thing! x

I get the adding extra base etc... And really can see why some1 such as you would use that way of putting it, but a rep who says just do the 50 thing and forget dream age is a strange thing to me, all reps iv seen have been willing to do almost anything to sell the products. Might go take look at dream age next time in at the warehouse, will make my life a lot easyer than intermixing xoxo

I get the adding extra base etc... And really can see why some1 such as you would use that way of putting it, but a rep who says just do the 50 thing and forget dream age is a strange thing to me, all reps iv seen have been willing to do almost anything to sell the products. Might go take look at dream age next time in at the warehouse, will make my life a lot easyer than intermixing xoxo

Thats because he's a great rep!!

Matrix do knock spots of other colour ranges though and Dream.Age is something other colour brands want and cant have! ohh Dream.Age is also Low ammonia! x

Thank you everyone for the help! i fully get it now! thank you xxx

I'm not sure about the previous post about getting the exact same result as DA-5M by mixing equal amounts of 505G and 5M. I agree that it will cover the grey hair but the base colour will be different and not really give the exact same result. It will give an approximation though, I suppose it would be a 506GM or something like that.

I'm not sure about the previous post about getting the exact same result as DA-5M by mixing equal amounts of 505G and 5M. I agree that it will cover the grey hair but the base colour will be different and not really give the exact same result. It will give an approximation though, I suppose it would be a 506GM or something like that.

Let me explain my reasoning behind 505G as the colour to mix with.

5M is a base 5 colour with red/violet reflects. It also contains green/blue tones to counteract the natural underlying pigment at level 5 (of which there are none in white hair). Therefore 5M applied to white hair would produce an undesired drab result with a deep violet cast: like mud with ribena thrown in.

You could mix it with 505N to help cover, but 505N is simply 5N with added ash tone and zero green. I've already demonstrated that the green/blue already present in 5M causes problems with white hair, so obviously adding more blue alone would simply make the colour darker and more violet than expected (It would look more like 4V than 5M).

What's the opposite of violet? Gold.

That's why you would mix 505G with 5M to achieve a 5M result on white hair. If you used 505N you would end up too dark and too violet.

This is what I mean by Dream.Age being the like a supermarket ready meal for those who can't cook. For people who cannot work out the above it's ideal. One tube 'seems' to do it all.

But for people who can work out the above when formulating for colour, Dream.Age seems very limiting. It's only one step away from a box colour in all reality. You pick the shade and apply it safe in the knowledge you'll get it. But what about personalising colour for our clients skintone, lifestyle, eyes, make-up?

I guess that's why some salons and hairdressers are turning out £170 colour bills while their competitiors can't even get £50 for the same service. I think clients know when you're formulating just for them and when you're mixing from a shade chart. Just my opinion.

Let me explain my reasoning behind 505G as the colour to mix with.

5M is a base 5 colour with red/violet reflects. It also contains green/blue tones to counteract the natural underlying pigment at level 5 (of which there are none in white hair). Therefore 5M applied to white hair would produce an undesired drab result with a deep violet cast: like mud with ribena thrown in.

You could mix it with 505N to help cover, but 505N is simply 5N with added ash tone and zero green. I've already demonstrated that the green/blue already present in 5M causes problems with white hair, so obviously adding more blue alone would simply make the colour darker and more violet than expected (It would look more like 4V than 5M).

What's the opposite of violet? Gold.

That's why you would mix 505G with 5M to achieve a 5M result on white hair. If you used 505N you would end up too dark and too violet.

This is what I mean by Dream.Age being the like a supermarket ready meal for those who can't cook. For people who cannot work out the above it's ideal. One tube 'seems' to do it all.

But for people who can work out the above when formulating for colour, Dream.Age seems very limiting. It's only one step away from a box colour in all reality. You pick the shade and apply it safe in the knowledge you'll get it. But what about personalising colour for our clients skintone, lifestyle, eyes, make-up?

I guess that's why some salons and hairdressers are turning out £170 colour bills while their competitiors can't even get £50 for the same service. I think clients know when you're formulating just for them and when you're mixing from a shade chart. Just my opinion.

I very rarely just use one shade! Always personalise my colours, that no one would ever think of doing! ;) x

Latest posts

Back