Drying towels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckybee

Reaction score
Hi everyone

How do you all wash and dry you towels. I personally just take them home and bring back the next day, but there is only 2 of us in my small salon.

I'm planning to open a much larger salon in another town where there could be 8-10 staff. It will be all rent a chair/booth. The bills will be in with the rent, so I'm abit wary of a tumble dryer as I can see folk just sticking in 1 towel instead of a full load.

Your thoughts would be welcome

X

Hi everyone

How do you all wash and dry you towels. I personally just take them home and bring back the next day, but there is only 2 of us in my small salon.

I'm planning to open a much larger salon in another town where there could be 8-10 staff. It will be all rent a chair/booth. The bills will be in with the rent, so I'm abit wary of a tumble dryer as I can see folk just sticking in 1 towel instead of a full load.

Your thoughts would be welcome

X

I don't use towels anymore, I use the disposable eco towels I found it was so much cheaper than all the water, electric, washing powder not to mention lugging bags of them back and forth and taking up my valuable laundry time at home.

And I do occasionally take some home shove a load in the washing machine as they're not fibrous they are great for cleaning windows, wiping the washing line and the bathroom lol

If you only have a tumble dryer in the salon, how will you wash them each time?

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

Thanks for the reply, do you have a link for the Eco towels.

Just to clarify I take mine home and use the washing machine and tumble dryer, at the new salon nothing is there at the moment as we are still doing some structure repairs and have yet to fit out..

I won't be be doing the laundry, just providing the building and some equipment. But I will be paying the bills so an economical way of washing and drying the towels is required.

I will certainly look into the Eco towels, thank you

I have a two stylist salon and I take all the towels home every night same as you, when I worked in a larger salon w had a large capacity washing machine & 2 tumble dryers in one branch and an industrial sized one in the other branch, make sure you calculate the rent to the chair renters efficiently you could leave yourself out of pocket, you could ask them to take care of their own towels if they'll all be self employed, maybe suggest they each get different colours? I can imagine it costs quite a bit to get disposable ones?? It costs me at home £1 to tumble dry 75p to wash plus the cost of washing powder that's for 20-30 towels a day, (I have a token meter so I can see how much it costs) their rent will need to be quite a lot to cover all bills etc so make sure you do your maths well you may need to take into account that not all chairs maybe rented at once too so you'd need to charge enough to pay everything between say 2 renters, anything over that can just be money in your pocket :) only saying coz I've considered doing a second larger salon too :)

We have a washing machine and tumble drier in the salon. I would hope that lessees would be respectful not only of bills but environment as well and would just put whole loads on. The problems arise when there aren't enough towels to go round!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

you could ask them to take care of their own towels if they'll all be self employed, maybe suggest they each get different colours?

I have thought about different coloured towels, great minds lol.

Getting my bills known to the last penny is a must as I could shoot myself in the foot, as mention above.

Would a domestic washer be out of its depth, trying to look after 8 staff?

We have a washing machine and tumble drier in the salon. I would hope that lessees would be respectful not only of bills but environment as well and would just put whole loads on. The problems arise when there aren't enough towels to go round!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would hope so, but not everyone is thoughtful, some folk are quite selfish

I have thought about different coloured towels, great minds lol.

Getting my bills known to the last penny is a must as I could shoot myself in the foot, as mention above.

Would a domestic washer be out of its depth, trying to look after 8 staff?

I don't think so, but get a really good energy rated 1 we had the same washer for 3 years in the one branch it was just a regular washer like you'd have at home, the other branch had an industrial one but both salons had at least 8 stylists

Kahuna, so you pay roughly £1.90 a day Inc electric, and soap powder...not including water..say that's an extra 15p per load..( more if it's industrial size I guess) .so that's about £12.30 a week. On the premises?

I get through about 70 a week, as not all clients have towels....gents dry cut just has gown and cutting collar, I pay £65 for 600 disposables so about 10p each so I spend about £7.50 which is slightly more than you, but I have to take into consideration driving to drop them off and driving to pick them up...there is no long stay carpark by the salon so a bit of a trek with bags of wet towels lol...I'm only tiny lol

My back room has no ventilation so can't use a tumble dryer nor the space :(

So the.disposable ones suit me x

U need to keep in mind also that the bills will probably be triple what they are in your 2 seat salon, if two people use say £200 a quarter in electric 8 people will use £800? I'm not hundred percent on that but makes sense, all the every day things like music licence, rent, rates insurance will all be the same as you pay now but consumables, water and electric & gas if u have it will be lots higher

Kahuna, so you pay roughly £1.90 a day Inc electric, and soap powder...not including water..say that's an extra 15p per load..( more if it's industrial size I guess) .so that's about £12.30 a week. On the premises?

I get through about 70 a week, as not all clients have towels....gents dry cut just has gown and cutting collar, I pay £65 for 600 disposables so about 10p each so I spend about £7.50 which is slightly more than you, but I have to take into consideration driving to drop them off and driving to pick them up...there is no long stay carpark by the salon so a bit of a trek with bags of wet towels lol...I'm only tiny lol

My back room has no ventilation so can't use a tumble dryer nor the space :(

So the.disposable ones suit me x

I did look into the disposables, just couldn't decide if they were cheaper or not, my washer & dryer is at home not in in the shop, I'm not on a water meter at home but I am in the shop that was what made me decide to take them home

I did look into the disposables, just couldn't decide if they were cheaper or not, my washer & dryer is at home not in in the shop, I'm not on a water meter at home but I am in the shop that was what made me decide to take them home

Ahhh that's not too bad then, I'm on a meter in both :(

You've not taken wear & tear of the washing machine and dryer into account. I'd add at least £1 a week to cover this if you're doing at least 3 loads a day.

(Rough estimate based on replacing a domestic washing machine and tumble dryer every 2 years @ £750 for the pair).

Thanks for the reply, do you have a link for the Eco towels.

I will certainly look into the Eco towels, thank you

I can't find them on my supplier website, you don't want to be paying anymore than £65_75 for 600... You can get them in packs of 50 for about £8 too if you want to trial run them first but do work out more expensive... Here's some

http://ecotowels.co.uk/disposable-salon-hair-towels

I can't find them on my supplier website, you don't want to be paying anymore than £65_75 for 600... You can get them in packs of 50 for about £8 too if you want to trial run them first but do work out more expensive... Here's some

Salon Towels

Thank you x

Don't forget they will need to be dispossed of

Thank you x

Don't forget they will need to be dispossed of

They're bio degradable, so can just go in rubbish bin , and they can screw one up smaller than a golf ball....:D
And make fantastic window cloths after lol

Disposable towels - after they've been used, they're great for mucky jobs around the house, car cleaning etc.

I used them at college and saved a few. :o

Disposable towels - after they've been used, they're great for mucky jobs around the house, car cleaning etc.

I used them at college and saved a few. :o

I clean the bathroom, windows, car, everything with them, even dust the black glass in the Living room, they're great!!... Oh as well as super absorbant for clients wet hair lol

Have you looked into using a laundry company? Will save you so much time and farting around with doing it yourself. We use one here and its great!

Hi,

Easydry created our eco towels nearly ten years ago. You should give us a call to learn more if you're interested.

Our towels are so absorbent that you need just 1 per client. After use, you can re-use them to polish sinks, windows, backwash etc. they are 100% biodegradable so they break down completely in just 12 weeks.

We have a smaller size for clients with shorter hair that costs less.

I hope this has helped?

Best of luck with the salon.

Latest posts

Back