Earning potential

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthelashmobile

Reaction score
Firstly I am aware that this is a bit of a 'how longs a piece of string' question but all the same i'm keen to know everyones answers.

I am currently working in a 9-5 office job earning 23k a year. I am due to finish a nail technician course in June. I'm also qualified in lashes and spray tanning however sold my spray tan equipment as this seems to have gone out of fashion and not done any lashes for a while as i stopped advertising due to being tooooo busy in my 'normal' job.

I didn't know what I wanted to do when I left school however I wanted to be a hair dresser since I was 18. I applied for an apprenticeship but couldn't get a place in a salon as it was cheaper for them to take on someone who had just left school. It was in the middle of the recession and people were penny pinching which is understandable. At the time it really knocked my confidence and made me feel as though I wasn't good enough to do it. As I've got older I realised it would have been down to the financial side of things! I've ended up in sales and office jobs ever since.

To cut a long story short I'm now wanting to go to college in september to do level 2 hair as an evening course along side my full time job (as I am doing currently with my nail tech course).

How much could I expect to be earning as a newly qualified hairdresser in year 1, year 3, year 5 etc. I would be prepared to make up my money if needed by doing acrylic nails.

Again I know this is a bit of a wishy washy question but your help would be much appreciated if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Well being in your same shoes I am finishing my level 2, applied for level 3 and I decided to do it full time so have sacrificed my income to do it.
In terms of money it would really depend on what you plan to do with your qualification. Do you want to be independent or do you want to work in salon?
From conversations I have had it would be difficult for me to get into a salon with no experience fresh out of college and my age. As a lot of salons up my way want level 3 to be considered for a stylist job and 5 years experience on top.
My plans are to go mobile or rent a chair. Not much help in monetary terms so might be best speaking to your local hair salons to get an idea.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using SalonGeek mobile app

I would ideally be wanting to find somewhere that would employ me to get salon experience or take the leap and rent a chair. Would consider mobile maybe if I struggled to find either of the above. Very vague but I don't really know enough about it at the moment. Definitely would prefer a salon environment though.

I am 33 and done my level 2 then 3 five years ago. I now wish i had gone down the apprenticeship route but again found it hard due to my age. You defo need that salon experience behind you even if you cut your hours at work and maybe do a couple of free days a week in a salon just helping out sweeping up etc then you can perhaps start bringing your own models in etc. i honestly think you will find it hard just going from college and trying to rent a chair. As for income i cant comment as that all depends on where you work also what area you live etc :(

Firstly I am aware that this is a bit of a 'how longs a piece of string' question but all the same i'm keen to know everyones answers.

I am currently working in a 9-5 office job earning 23k a year. I am due to finish a nail technician course in June. I'm also qualified in lashes and spray tanning however sold my spray tan equipment as this seems to have gone out of fashion and not done any lashes for a while as i stopped advertising due to being tooooo busy in my 'normal' job.

I didn't know what I wanted to do when I left school however I wanted to be a hair dresser since I was 18. I applied for an apprenticeship but couldn't get a place in a salon as it was cheaper for them to take on someone who had just left school. It was in the middle of the recession and people were penny pinching which is understandable. At the time it really knocked my confidence and made me feel as though I wasn't good enough to do it. As I've got older I realised it would have been down to the financial side of things! I've ended up in sales and office jobs ever since.

To cut a long story short I'm now wanting to go to college in september to do level 2 hair as an evening course along side my full time job (as I am doing currently with my nail tech course).

How much could I expect to be earning as a newly qualified hairdresser in year 1, year 3, year 5 etc. I would be prepared to make up my money if needed by doing acrylic nails.

Again I know this is a bit of a wishy washy question but your help would be much appreciated if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks
To be honest it would be better to look at past threads as often rates of pay changes area to area below is a thread that talked about employment and wages. Within hair it would really depend on what you are good at also as a colour technician can earn a great amount in my area whereas someone doing african-carribean hair due to the saturation of market can expect much less.
http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/263485-whats-going-employment-7.html

Furthermore I find the marketing for hair and beauty to be completely different especially as a lot of clients (including myself) do not want to go to a jack-of-all trades master of none.I would suggest sticking to one building up a clientele then investing/learning another trade.

To be honest it would be better to look at past threads as often rates of pay changes area to area below is a thread that talked about employment and wages. Within hair it would really depend on what you are good at also as a colour technician can earn a great amount in my area whereas someone doing african-carribean hair due to the saturation of market can expect much less.
http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/263485-whats-going-employment-7.html

Furthermore I find the marketing for hair and beauty to be completely different especially as a lot of clients (including myself) do not want to go to a jack-of-all trades master of none.I would suggest sticking to one building up a clientele then investing/learning another trade.

Thankyou for that. I'll have a trawl through that post tonight.

Latest posts

Back