Ears pierced: My son (age 5) wants it!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. I think this is a really tricky one. I have to admit at first my initial reaction was to say no it wasn't acceptable. I thought this mainly as i thought he may want it done due to peer pressure/fashion etc.
The fact that you say it's a personal obsession makes it somewhat different, and it's up to you at the end of the day. However as a parent of a young boy, i would personally say no.

I would agree with the poster that said it can look "chavvish and thuggy" (just my personal opinion and I know it's silly) but other people may judge your son about this as well.

It's also worth bearing in mind the safety issues if your son plays sport etc.

It's very wrong and it shouldn't be like this, but if your son is at school you may want to bear in mind that some (not all) teachers can be very judgemental and tar your son with a brush they shouldn't just because he has one of his ears pierced. (thinking he is a troublemaker etc)
I'm going through something similiar at the moment with my son whom is obsessed with wanting a red mohawk. Again I know that he will be judged by many if I do let him have this, but if you can't express yourself like this when you are young and not in the working world when can you? :green:

He's 5, Your in charge!
At age five, do any of us know our own minds, or appreciate that those holes are gona be there for life? What next, a tattoo?
He's 5, can he manage the hygeine and aftercare to prevent infection?
He's 5, can he cope with the care he will have to take during play/sport to prevent damage to his earlobes?
Please get a grip

He's 5, Your in charge!
At age five, do any of us know our own minds, or appreciate that those holes are gona be there for life? What next, a tattoo?
He's 5, can he manage the hygeine and aftercare to prevent infection?
He's 5, can he cope with the care he will have to take during play/sport to prevent damage to his earlobes?
Please get a grip

Four of my 5 sons had their ear pierced between the ages of four and five. None have damaged ears because of their earring and school sports or any other rough and tumbling and none had issues with infection, if you agree to let your child have their ears pierced at any age your likely as a parent to take responsibility for the aftercare, a five year old need do nothing more than leave the piercing be while its healing. One of my lads is now in the army and has to let the two holes in one of his ears close up, no repercussions, no issue and in fact 6 months after last wearing his studs the holes are barely visible.

Latest posts

Back