electric file

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGENT1

Reaction score
I have recently started using an electric file. (i thought it would make life easier) i havent had a course or anything YET...
i tried it on a few close friends and family and they said it was ok but occasionally got a little hot. also i found it harder to shape after being used to a file. any tips!!!!

Also a couple of customers have been asking for deep smile lines. i thought mine were deep anyway but they want them deeper and ideas on how to achieve this.

Any hints and tips to help........:rolleyes:

I have recently started using an electric file. (i thought it would make life easier) i havent had a course or anything YET...
i tried it on a few close friends and family and they said it was ok but occasionally got a little hot. also i found it harder to shape after being used to a file. any tips!!!!

Also a couple of customers have been asking for deep smile lines. i thought mine were deep anyway but they want them deeper and ideas on how to achieve this.

Any hints and tips to help........:rolleyes:

Hun my first tip is the obvious one...

E-File: Leave well alone until you have trained, its just plain crazy to have a go, dont ya like your friends & family much? No offense intended, just bein honest.

Smile lines: you could try adding a tiny dryish ball of white to each corner (the 'ears'), & blending into the rest of the smile, shaping the ears with the pointred flags of your brush.
To ensure the tiny beads are dry enough (so theres no marbling), create the bead, then drop it onto your lint free towel, allowing some of the monomer to soak into the paper, then pick up the bead with your brush & away you go.

Obviosly get training for it.
I find the sanding bands don't get too hot at all as opposed to the metal bits and they also dont hurt if you make contact with skin, or it could be just my e-file that does this. I can stop mine by touching it with my finger when it has a sanding band on. And i also only use it on zone 3 (the free edge area) and dont go anywhere near the cuticle area

okay im not going to say get training since it has been stated many times will be many more but you get the idea.

go to Nails Magazine on there they have just added kinda a user guide to e-files if your client is getting a hot feeling there getting to much friction your rpm's are too low and the bit is having to work harder to do its job. Always hold your barrel paralell with the area of the nail you are working so you dont etch into the nail.

deeper smile lines try the reverse application and carve out the smile line the way you want it or do as already stated and add the the corners of it

But really you should get some training on the internet, in a class what ever but be smart in the wrong hand weve all seen what can happen

Hi, Training is the way but in the mean time a little tip, we train our staff initally on hard boiled eggs (i know what everyone is thinking but bare with me) this is the first step, you have to gently file away the layers of the shell, this gives you some idea of the pressure to apply and if you apply to much you will soon find out (scrambled egg for tea) also heat can be generated buy to much pressure and you need to lift off after every stroke to let the bit/nail slightly cool down. Hope this helps Andy

Thanks guys,

I HAVE booked on to an NSI Training course, just waiting to go on it, was just wanting some adivise and tips before i go. I know what can happen in the wrong hands so no worries there. hehe.

Thanks for the tips though sure they will give me a head start on my course. and i love the egg idea, lol

Will also try the reverse application never tried that but may help.

Thanks GEEKS........

Hi Agent1!

Okay...When I started with the drill I used a dremel. Yes, a shop tool. Then I graduated from the shop tool, to a Genie. Lastly, I use the Kupa. Love it BTW. Doesn't matter what kind of tool you use, but practice makes perfect. A few golden rules to remember when using any kind of efile. Never, NEVER use on the natural nail. I simply can not stress that enough.

Always keep the file in movement. Side to side. It's hard at first, I remeber I always wanted to use it cuticle to free edge. Don't. That simply doesn't give you a nice rounded nail. It leaves flat spots in the nail that we as nail techs may not see till way later on.

Since the file is in constant movement, heat should not happen. Heat comes from friction of leaving that file in one spot. Also, you don't have to use the fastes setting on the drill. Since you are just starting, use a fairly slow setting. The slower it is, the less chance for heat. Once you have mastered your technique for manipulating the drill, then put your speed faster.

Cuticle work can be tricky. Try not to use a big bulky drill bit near the cuticle. You want to see the cuticle line and drill bit at all time. If you use a big bulky one, you may not see where the drill bit is touching your client at and that may lead to a nick. Use narrowed drill bit specifically for cuticle area. Sometimes you have to hold the clients hand kind of funny so you can see the cuticle area as you drill. But please never assume that the drill isn't touching her.

Drill bits, just trial and error with those. After mastering the drill, it wont take any time to figure out which drill bits you like and why. I love the 2 way carbide bits. Two way because it cuts the nail, in either direction. Left or right. So it cuts all the time. The I love sanding bands. I prefer the course casue it gets the job done fast, then I finish with the fine. Oh, also the carbides are great if you want less heat. They allow more air flow inbetween the nail and the bit.

Well, hope this has helped. Practice, practice, practice. If you have leary clients, one thing I always do to explain the it isnt the drill that causes the problems, its the tech, is put your setting on low speed, then touch your drill bit. Yes, that's right. Touch it with your hand. If low enough, it won't hurt you. That always cause my ladies to relax about the drill. Good luck to you!!!!!!

Thanks Nancy

thats just the advise i was looking for, that was one of my fears reasuring the client when i am not that confident myself, and the bits, which ones? confusing but that advise helps loads thankyou very much for all the tips there great..

Latest posts

Back