Electrolysis training question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelleM

Reaction score
Hi All-

I'm new here and hope I'm posting this in the right section.

Essentially, I'm really interested in becoming an electrologist and have been looking into the training options available. I was initially thinking about doing the electrolysis training with Sterex but then also thought about approaching my own electrologist whom I've had treatment from for a long while and know well. She is a lovely lady and have been doing electrolysis for nearly 40 years. She agreed to teach me and give me some training and in return I will be helping her with admin stuff at her clinic a few days a week. This will only be part-time and I don't expect I can get anymore than 2-3 hours per week training from her in return during the hours she and I will be together. This arrangement will likely be for 2-3 months only.

My question is, how much practical teaching should I be getting in order to feel that I at least have a good grasp of doing electrolysis? She is very very good and I would be keen on learning from someone who is good at what they do. She'd also be someone I can pick up and ask a question to should I need it after finishing training. One concern I have about training with her is actually about the machine she uses. I am keen on getting an Apilus and she only uses Sterex. Will it be a problem that I do my training on a different machine?

I have given myself about 9-10 months to be fully trained and am confused about how much training I should be getting and what's the best route to that.

Thank you in advance for all the answers!

Hi,
I've been qualified in electrolysis (epilation) since 1989 and have taught it in College for a decade.
It's lovely that you have someone who will show you the ropes but this will however, NOT give you an accredited qualification with which to obtain insurance and treat clients in the future.

My advice would be to train with an accredited training school or College which will give you the necessary level 3 epilation unit. If you were then to get extra help and tips from your friend, that would be fine but she cannot assess your practical work (unless she actually works as a qualified assessor for your training school).

On an epilation course you will study the H&S involved, diathermy, galvanic & blend currents. There will be case studies to complete and write up.
Don't worry about what brand of machine you train with as once qualified you will get specific training from the company you buy from.
In my department we had about five different brands of epilation units so it was good experience for the learners to see how different units work - what buttons, bits to hold, levels to set etc. I felt this prepared them well for whatever salon they might work in for the future. Some people like foot pedals, some like finger buttons but if you know how to use them all you are well set for any type!

Be aware that the demand for epilation is vastly less than it was ten years ago - laser is the thing to offer now for permanent hair removal.

Hope this helps your decisions.

Hi,
I've been qualified in electrolysis (epilation) since 1989 and have taught it in College for a decade.
It's lovely that you have someone who will show you the ropes but this will however, NOT give you an accredited qualification with which to obtain insurance and treat clients in the future.

My advice would be to train with an accredited training school or College which will give you the necessary level 3 epilation unit. If you were then to get extra help and tips from your friend, that would be fine but she cannot assess your practical work (unless she actually works as a qualified assessor for your training school).

On an epilation course you will study the H&S involved, diathermy, galvanic & blend currents. There will be case studies to complete and write up.
Don't worry about what brand of machine you train with as once qualified you will get specific training from the company you buy from.
In my department we had about five different brands of epilation units so it was good experience for the learners to see how different units work - what buttons, bits to hold, levels to set etc. I felt this prepared them well for whatever salon they might work in for the future. Some people like foot pedals, some like finger buttons but if you know how to use them all you are well set for any type!

Be aware that the demand for epilation is vastly less than it was ten years ago - laser is the thing to offer now for permanent hair removal.

I thought electrolysis was the only permanent hair remover? I'm coming to the end of my level 3, really enjoyed electrolysis and wanted to do an advanced course, And do the treatment mobile. Is this possible? Are people still having this treatment.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice CFBS. Yes, I am also going to be attending a training course where I can get the certification required but I was keen on learning from this lady because she is very good at her job. Just wanted to get a sense of practical application hours I should be aiming to get.

Though I can appreciate the value a training school can add, not knowing the quality of teaching (practical application in particular) makes me a little less certain in doing that alone. Are there any training schools you'd recommend? BIAE recommends Sterex but I'd like to look into other options too.

I think sterex would be the strongest contender for accredited training and their machines are excellent
[emoji4]

I trained in electrolysis at college as part of my HND in the late 90's, and have subsequently done courses with Sterex, and have to say the Sterex training is fantastic. Their ACP course for removing skin blemishes is also worth every penny.

In my salon electrolysis is still popular. For starters it is still the only proven method of permanent hair removal, and unlike laser it will treat all hairs on all skin types. It is true that laser is popular on large areas like legs, but when it comes to lips and chins, many clients still plump for electrolysis. Moreover, many who have had laser will often go to an electrolygist to finish off the hairs that the laser didn't treat, which is why many laser salons still have qualified electrologists working in them.

Thanks guys. Yes, I've also heard good things about the training given by Sterex.

Latest posts

Back