Embalmer gel polish lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paige@TheClinik

Reaction score
We have a client at the salon who can not keep gel polish on, we have tried 3 times, twice with another therapist once with me, her first 2 appointments at least 6 nails came off within 24 hours, when I did them they have lasted a week but she has now lost 4, for me a week isn't enough.. Can gel polish just not be suited to some people and if not why? She is embalmer and wears gloves during work hours then washes with alcohol and hydrates with oil, could this be affected it? I'm desperate for an answer I've never come across this.
Thanks in advance guys xx

Gel polish/shellac/gelish are all great BUT they are not for EVERONE! I've had this once when it didn't even last 24hrs & started chipping! The client had extremely dry nails. If your client is using Alcohol hand gel this can have an effect on her manicure it can break the product down HTH X

Have you tried to use something underneath like brisa??

Some people are just not compatible to certain products unfortunately x

Hydrating with oil could be the issue. Perhaps retail her a moisturizer that you KNOW to be safe and ask her to use that product only.

Could the formaldehyde be causing problems, embalming fluid is pretty strong stuff and we all know how reliable gloves can be and sometimes porous.

I am an ex Embalmer and funeral director myself and from my own experience I would suggest that your client sticks to having nothing on her nails when working and using regular polish on the off duty times.
In my opinion, the issue is due to a couple of things:

Wearing gloves for prolonged periods, the sweat that builds up impacts the gel polish and slowly lifts edges.
Some of the chemicals used also causes hands to sweat more than your usual but it's not totally noticeable when busy and just continually changing gloves all the time.
Extra than normal amounts of time that hands must be washed.
It could be the gloves themselves, I don't know what kind of gloves your client must wear under her countries guidelines but I know here where I live, the type of gloves I had to use ruined everything from my nails to my skin.
I would not think that she would be getting direct contact with any chemical and especially if the gloves she is wearing are correct for the guidelines, as the whole idea of wearing gloves, is so we do not have any chemicals touch our skin directly.
Again, speaking from experience, when your client says she hydrates with oil, I have to say that sadly this is not enough to keep gel polish on her nails. We go all day with cloves on while working, in between we wash hands with strong solvents/chemicals and then re-apply gloves again ready for next case, it's not until the end of the day that we get to finally let our hands free to breath and can finally wash for the final time and apply lotions and lotions to help our nails and skin and the bottom line is, gel polish is not made to live like this:)

My other thought is (and again I'm not sure of the guidelines she works under) but where I live and when I worked in the industry, we were not allowed to wear any nail coverings, we were under the same rules as nurses etc, so during my years of working as an embalmer, I just went without until the weekends.

Thank you all very much for the great advice xx

Latest posts

Back