Employing for the first time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I've not been on in quite some time as I have been busy opening my own salon. I am in the fortunate position of being fully booked all of the time and am turning away a whole lot of work. I have decided the way for me to expand the business is to employ someone. I have done a fair amount of research, with a whole lot more to read up on, and have a basic grasp of what is required of me.

Would any of you geeks that have been in my shoes mind giving me any advice on what my next steps should be? What do you wish you had known? What did you do that you wish you hadn't?

Thanks all

Zooks

Hey so pleased its going so well!
I don't think employment is as hard as many make out.
I used the hmrc website but even better now as the accountant does payroll!

Contracts are important but I still haven't done one for my staff! Payment with commission has been a massive incentive.
If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's not as bad as it's made out, I agree.

Staff don't have loyalty though, if they think the grass is greener they will leave. Aslong as you bare that in kind and if any staff leave put them straight on gardening leave.

Having staff is enjoyable, stressful, fun, challenging but also rewarding in more ways than just financial.

Good luck :)

:)

Thank you both for that.

Squid egret ball I was going to drop you a line soon anyway. Hope you're still nice and busy :)

Just moved to take on whole barn. I've posted some pics on another thread. All going great. Must stop pm'ing each other on a thread lol x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

After a little more advice and thought I would save starting a new thread if I can help it.

Had a very informal meeting with the girl I am planning on taking on today to see what she would be looking for before I decide what I can offer her. She is looking to be paid a little more than my budget allows for, can't blame her for trying, so I am thinking of going in at a rate that I already had in my head but offering and incentive on retail.

I am positive that lots of people do this but how do you work it? Do you just do a straight percentage of any retail that they sell?

How do you work it if they just happen to be the person that takes a sale of an already existing customer? This si all so new to me!

I pay 5% on all treatments and 10% on all retail. This means the busier she is, the more she gets paid.

However she came in on a basic rate and only guaranteed 20 hours per week and this went up when I realised she was a. Fab at her job and b. She was my daughter lol!

When I heard her rebooking clients and giving then 110% I knew it was time for a pay rise. She's still on basic rate and still only guaranteed 20 goes per week but we introduced the percentages some months ago and it has been a great success x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's great to know, I thought I might do a scale percentage on retail.

Say 10% up to £100, 15% up to £150 and 20% on over £200 or something similar. So much to think about that my brain hurts.

That's great to know, I thought I might do a scale percentage on retail.

Say 10% up to £100, 15% up to £150 and 20% on over £200 or something similar. So much to think about that my brain hurts.

I'd keep it simple!

V x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back