Equipment Sterilisation whilst mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca Bee

Reaction score
Heya (me again)

I've been looking online for an autoclave to use at home to sterilise my metal instruments, but they're so so expensive, and to be honest, a little bit out of my budget.

Currently, i'm "sterilising" them in chemical solution, and taking them to clients in zip lock plastic bags, but i'm not convinced that this is adequate, and i can't see any guidance on the BABTAC site regarding this.

I was idling chatting to one of my colleagues today, and moaning how expensive some stuff was, and she suggested that i think about a pressure cooker, and use something like a basket from a dishwasher to hold my instruments, and use that instead of an autoclave.

Just wondering if anyone does the same? Or if anyone has any reason why this isn't suitable?

becca

hiya
i use the little tubbaware cups with the screw lids that you can keep liquid in and i put a cotton wool pad in the bottom to protect the end of my tools and then i put barbicide in, its never leaked with me ive got one for my pedicure tools and a seperate one for my tweezers, comedone extractor etc just take them out over night to stop any rusting. I think this would be a lot easier and less to carry than the other ideas
carlene

www.sterilsafe.com
Go and have a look there, the products are really good, and the solution works in 10 minutes...which is great for me, cos i'm a lazy moo! Means I can put my instruments in 10 minutes before I go out the door if I need to, (or 10 minutes before I go to bed!) and I know they're completely sterilised. It's cheap as well and it lasts aaaaaaages, even if you use it every day :)
I'm a mobile therapist and it works well for me, hope that helps!!

There are some great products available to make disinfecting tools when mobile very easy. You may want to consider Mundo Rapid Instrument & Tool Disinfectant. This only needs 5 mins to disinfect! It's a ready to use solution and you don't need to rinse your tools afterwards - so you can use it virtually anywhere. The solution only needs changing once a week.

Files can be disinfected with Mundo File & Abrasive Disinfectant.

Hands can be sanitized with Mundo Sanitizing Hand Gel - a waterless system that contains skin conditioners too!

Or you may want to use their Sanitizing Hand & Foot Spray - again, it's a waterless system with skin conditioners - designed for hands and feet.

You could even disinfect the top of your desk with Mundo Hard Surface Disinfectant Spray aor Hard Surface Disinfectant Wipes.

Hope that helps!!

Heh am I doing something wrong here? I just take along my Barbicide to a clients house,unfold my table out,pop a glass jar on it ,with Barbicide in ,pop my instruments in , get my files out, give them a spray, and by the time everything else is out and weve sorted out a drink etc,away we go , all disenfected.. :rolleyes:

Heh am I doing something wrong here? I just take along my Barbicide to a clients house,unfold my table out,pop a glass jar on it ,with Barbicide in ,pop my instruments in , get my files out, give them a spray, and by the time everything else is out and weve sorted out a drink etc,away we go , all disenfected.. :rolleyes:

I don't nessesarily think there's only one "right" way, and to be honest, I'd probably end up doing the heat sterilisation at home, and using a chemical disinfectant at client's... I guess i'm a perfectionist, and want to make enturely sure, just for my own peace of mind.

I was just wondering how other mobile therapists go about sanitising.

Rebecca

Any other replies please.:rolleyes:

for the best steralisation for mobile therapists use caron micro defence it is a spray which cleans all equipment quick and easy and is FDA approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am i barking here? I recall from my training that the only true way to sterilies equipment was with heat?

Are these chemicals more sanitisers rather than sterilisation?

i'd like to be fully informed and make my own decisions rather than going on the "perfect world" scenario they teach in college...

Rebecca

Yes could some one clarify this one.

I though you only needed to sterilize if you metal tools got blood on them or bodily fluid (we also body pierce) other wise sanitize is adequate enough which you can do with the products that you have mentioned ie:mundo, Barbicide

Thanks
S

I take barbicide with me for my tools i spray files wash foot files then spray them then at the end of the day i bring my tools in and sterilise in the autoclave .

Latest posts

Back