Extensionists advice on matting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lushlonglocks

Reaction score
Hiya everyone! I am an experienced extensionist but after a bit of advice for myself! Ive been ill over the last couple weeks and seriously neglected my hair extensions e.g not seperating them and even went to bed with my hair wet twice! Please dont shout! Anyway, noticed my hair is terribly matted at the roots underneath at the back.. I know they need to come out bit can you please give me advice on how to get rid of the matting without losing half of my hair! Pretty please :)

Hiya everyone! I am an experienced extensionist but after a bit of advice for myself! Ive been ill over the last couple weeks and seriously neglected my hair extensions e.g not seperating them and even went to bed with my hair wet twice! Please dont shout! Anyway, noticed my hair is terribly matted at the roots underneath at the back.. I know they need to come out bit can you please give me advice on how to get rid of the matting without losing half of my hair! Pretty please :)

Hello!
This is something we have ALOT of experience in over the last 10 years! Matting is essentially a dread lock, to unmatt hair which has become this way, you'll need:
1)Lots of patience
2)Some oil (orange oil works a treat)
3)Fine-toothed comb

You need to start from the bottom of the matted part, use your fingers(not comb) to separate the hair bit by bit until it untangles.Use the orange hair oil to help get knots out and only use the comb to comb out the excess hair stuck inside the matted hair. It can take hours but dont give up and start yanking at it. Another trick is to douse your hair in conditioner whilst in the shower/nath and use a wide toothed comb to unmatt it this way.

Good luck!

Belle x

I use ALOT of spray in conditioner... the kids ones for tangles are brilliant!! Drench the matting and use a nit comb! Start from the bottom part of the matting and slowly tease it out. I can do it really quickly now and actually find it therapeutic! It doesn't hurt at all, but the de-tangle spray is a must!

Big warning regarding orange oil-use it only if you know you're not allergic to it. I used it once and thought I was gonna die! The itchiness, hot feeling and even the smell were unbearable.

Your best bet is to remove the extensions, slather your hair in a thick mask, leave on overnight, wash hair the next morning and voila, the tangles will come out by themselves, you can help the process along with a wooden wide toothed comb. In any case, be gentle and careful.

Thank you all i managed to rescue it!! I can sort it no problem when its a client but because its my own i was freaking out! Usually follow aftercare to a T but was tricky with me being in hospital and no access to a hairdryer etc! :)

Latest posts

Back